[D66] Falter - Has The Human Game Begun to Play Itself Out?

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Fri Jul 31 07:35:23 CEST 2020

https://www.utne.com/environment/bill-mckibben-falter-zm0z19uzhoe

  The End of Nature, Part Two

By
Michael Engelhard
utne.com
3 min
View Original
<https://getpocket.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.utne.com%2Fenvironment%2Fbill-mckibben-falter-zm0z19uzhoe>

/Photo provided by Henry Holt & Co./

After decades of efforts to protect Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife
Refuge and attacks on it thwarted, the pendulum, with the last election,
swung back again. Oil reserves suspected under the caribous’ calving
grounds have been fast-tracked for drilling. Federal environmental
regulations and agencies are being watered down or dismantled. Science
has taken a back seat to short-term profits. Meanwhile, in that far
north where haywire thermoregulation manifests urgently, visibly, and
pervasively, homes topple from eroding ocean bluffs, skeletons emerge
from thawing soil, polar bears starve, snowmachine riders drown in
thinning sea-ice, shore-bound walruses trample each other to death, and
permafrost melts, spewing methane into an already hothouse atmosphere.

The specter is nothing new. The activist and environmental studies
scholar Bill McKibben was the first to raise broader public awareness of
a climate crisis with his 1989 classic /The End of Nature/. Despite
mounting, incontrovertible evidence in the past 30 years, the problem
has worsened, that book’s gloom, sadly, has been vindicated. “The human
experiment is now in question,” McKibben warns in /Falter/, a sequel of
sorts. He’s the founder of 350.org, the first global citizens movement
to fight anthropogenic climate change—the organization’s name refers to
its goal of reducing atmospheric carbon dioxide to 350 parts per
million, the upper limit of what is considered safe to avoid
tipping-point chain reactions. Favoring localized economies and
alternative energy forms, McKibben, no Luddite, advocates for social and
environmental justice. The primal threat, he insists, are entrenched
elites averse to structural change, because “so far, things have been
working out”—famous last words from a skydiver with a faulty parachute.

Somewhat jarringly jetting to global hotspots, McKibben reports scenes
from the frontlines: dead coral fields resembling “an empty parking
garage,” flights into Delhi canceled when smog makes the runway
invisible, or cannon fire in the “war zone” of vast, hellish Alberta tar
sands operations, meant to scare off birds for their own good. He allows
that /Falter/’s bleakness “cuts against the current literary grain” of
upbeat TED talks and current-affairs books that chart recent
improvements in living standards. Many of those come at a high price,
with costs to the environment. “Because of the way power and wealth are
currently distributed on our planet,” McKibben writes, “we’re uniquely
ill-prepared to cope with the emerging challenges.” Yet, “Resistance to
these dangers is at least possible.” One may object to or tire of his
metaphor of the human enterprise as a game. But we’d still better listen
to him.

/Falter/’s pages brim with “sentences uttered with your back to the
wall,” in Thoreau’s phrasing. For relief, McKibben injects humor,
summarizing cryogenics as collecting heads in a giant thermos, or
describing a Silicon Valley mogul whose self-centeredness “makes Ayn
Rand look like Mother Theresa.”

Our backs always have been against the wall in the grand quest for
survival. The ability to cooperate in nomadic bands and pass on lessons
learned, resulting from our sophisticated brain, led to our species’
ascendancy. It’s also what might enable us to resolve this current mess.
Unfortunately, the technology that serves to establish global action
networks keeps us enslaved. “A man with a phone more or less permanently
affixed to his palm is partway a robot already,” McKibben writes.
Virtual worlds can be isolating, alienating, trapping us inside
make-believe realities or social-media echo chambers, while the
foundation of all known life crumbles around us.

The fallacy that some fix, some invention sprung from ape minds can save
our civilization and the planet is easily uncovered. It’s what got us in
trouble in the first place. Take the Global Seed Vault dug into an
Arctic mountain on Svalbard. Climate-controlled, using coal mined nearby
for refrigeration, it stores samples of crucial food crops and is
intended to last for ages. Heavy rains already once flooded its entrance
tunnel and then froze. Forests denuded? Dig up coal or drill for oil.
Feed exponentially growing populations? Industrial agriculture. Oceans
overfished? Design more efficient sounders and sonars for trawlers, farm
seafood, or switch to lab-grown protein substitutes. Species extinction?
Transplant wildlife or dabble in resurrection biology. Congested cities?
Air taxis and Amazon drones . . . The next, large-scale step in our
can-do frenzy, geo-engineering, holds its own set of unforeseen or
ignored consequences. Ultimately, these are not technological or even
political but moral dilemmas.

The refusal to act in the face of crisis or acting half-heartedly,
sluggishly, is a choice. This, too, is part of our mental makeup. We
evolved facing dire wolves in plain sight, not creeping automation or
the latter-day, nebulous foe that will uproot our descendants and
extinguish our other-than-human kin. A writer doesn’t owe readers hope,
only honesty, McKibben states, offering “engagement not despair.” Do not
expect solutions from /Falter/, but trends smartly examined, which may
yet ring in a sustainable future.