[D66] Liberty or Death

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Thu Jul 30 10:38:32 CEST 2020

Liberty or Death | Underground Histories

*Liberty or Death*
*Radicals, Republicans and Luddites*
*1793 to 1823*
*Alan Brooke and Lesley Kipling*

Over the last two hundred years many stories have been told about the
Luddites and histories have been written about the events of 1812 and
1813 around Huddersfield and the Spen Valley. The Luddites are a part of
the identity of this part of the West Riding of Yorkshire. However, it
was not until 1963 when E. P. Thompson, then a WEA lecturer living in
Halifax, published his Making of the English Working Class that anyone
had attempted properly to set the Luddites in the context of their
times. That work was widely recognised as articulating a new and more
radical view of the Luddite events and of the people caught up in them.

In 1993, thirty years after Thompson’s seminal work, Alan Brooke and
Lesley Kipling took up the challenge to extend his work beyond what he
had been able to achieve. Using new evidence and looking more thoroughly
at existing accounts they produced a history which in its own way has
become a classic. Liberty or Death quickly and very firmly established
itself as an important addition to the body of scholarship which
underlies Luddite studies. Copies of that first edition have become
collectors’ items. Now Alan and Lesley, drawing on their continuing
research, have produced a revised and extended manuscript.

Reviews of the book can be found at:
https://undergroundhistories.wordpress.com/liberty-or-death-reviews/

The Huddersfield Local History Society is proud to be able publish a
special Luddite bi-centenary edition of this classic work of our local
history. In doing this we would like to express our appreciation for the
generous support of The Lipman-Miliband Trust.

The new edition of Liberty or Death costs £8.00 (£9.95 including UK
p&p), and can be ordered via the link :

http://www.huddersfieldhistory.org.uk/publications/

or by post from: HLHS, 24 Sunnybank Rd, Huddersfield HD3 3DE. Cheques
payable to: Huddersfield Local History Society.