[D66] Review 'With Trotsky in Exile'

A.OUT jugg at ziggo.nl
Thu Feb 13 23:26:12 CET 2020

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/love-thy-neighbour/

Love thy neighbour
A review by Francis Wyndham of With Trotsky in Exile: From Prinkipo to
Coyoacán by Jean van Heijenoort, first published on August 4, 1978
TLS
February 7, 2020

Readers of Trotsky’s Diary in Exile 1935 may remember affectionate
references to “Van”, the “young French comrade with a Dutch name” who
posed as a nephew of Trotsky and his wife Natalya when they were hiding,
disguised as a bereaved French family, at a pension near Grenoble which
turned out to be a hotbed of the extreme Catholic and Royalist right.
This is among the diary’s lighter entries:

After each repas our “nephew” would tell us about these Molière-like
scenes; and half an hour of merry, though suppressed laughter (we were,
of course, in mourning) repaid us at least partially for the discomforts
of our existence. On Sunday N. and I went “to Mass”—really for a walk.
This heightened our prestige in the house.

Van’s own account of the episode is similar in tone (“Truly a Feydeau
comedy!”) but adds a further irony. Apparently Trotsky did enter a
church for ten minutes, and after listening to the sermon asked: “Does
he speak as well as Gérard?” (“Gérard Rosenthal was, among all the Paris
Trotskyites, the one most noted for his oratorical skill.”)

Paris Trotskyites were then not many in number; even so, the Ligue
communiste (the French Trotskyite group) had already suffered turbulent
dissensions among its few members and had also been infiltrated by at
least one Stalinist agent, Mark Zborowski. Jean van Heijenoort was only
twenty, and “in total revolt against society”, when he joined the Ligue
in 1932: in October of that year he travelled to the Turkish island of
Prinkipo to serve as secretary, translator and bodyguard to Trotsky
himself. He stayed for seven years, following the formidable exile to
France, briefly to Norway, and finally to Mexico; he left in November
1939, nine months before Trotsky’s assassination, which he read of in a
Baltimore newspaper. He ends his memoir with the words: “Darkness set
in.” He remained in the Trotskyite movement for another seven years,
when further revelations of Stalin’s concentration camps led him to
question the basis of Bolshevik ideology. Since then, he has had a
distinguished career as a mathematician.

[...]