[D66] Children’s Literature

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Mon Aug 24 11:15:34 CEST 2020

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/07/20/childhood-ferocious-sleep/

July 20, 2018
Childhood, Ferocious Sleep
by Martin Billheimer

     “How strange it is that when I was a child I tried to be like a
grownup, yet as soon as I ceased to be a child I often longed to be like
one.”

     ― Tolstoy

In her recent critique of kids’ books, Children’s Literature,
Domestication, and Social Formation (Routledge; PB edition, 2018), Layla
AbdelRahim recounts this striking tale from Onchukov’s collection of
North Russian folk stories:

     A man was walking to Njonoksa, on the bridge… he saw a she-devil
rambling: “A dress to impress I had; everything was taken away; but
today, into the water I probe in a fashionable German robe, all bright,
and with a haircut short and never will I emerge again, and never will
show my voice.

Her admirable English translation parodies pedagogical grammar in a kind
of beat hopscotch: dress/impress is serpentine; robe/probe sounds
slightly lewd (and why is the robe German, not Dutch or Turkish?). The
haircut seems an unexplained rite (short, shameful?). You cannot show a
voice, but a face – yet certainly a voice shows something? Colossal
stature, or its opposite in a visual gag. The babbling she-devil is a
loopy relative of the Grimm Scissor Man or the Japanese snow witch. Note
that she’s met on a ramble, where all songs and accidents start (or end:
‘No more I’ll go a roving’). And bridges are common places for strange
meetings, once upon a time.

Even a superficial reading gives the puzzling impression that something
has ‘happened’ in this story, although everything is certainly
uncertain. The same is true of Dylan Thomas’ poetry, or that famous line
of Chomsky’s which is often cited as a paradigm of senselessness:
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously. In light of this, the MIT Don’s
sentence now seems to refer to childhood, or to an adulthood haunted by
sylvan troubled sleep, by deep unquiet structures where each atomic word
is obscured in octopus ink.

The argument of Children’s Literature is that most Western childhood
classics contain, consciously or unconsciously, a virulent antipathy
toward the natural world, animals and animal nature, and the Commons.
Fear of the wilderness is a preoccupation of this morose literature,
represented in mythic or animal forms that both allure and terrify. The
result is the inculcation of the arid outlines of commodity relations
over the vigorously dialectical childhood mind. Even when children’s
books offer a critique of that terrible project which begins at
childhood’s end – Adulthood – the best it can muster is a kind of
sentimental admission of defeat, exemplified by A. A. Milne’s final
paragraph in Winnie the Pooh. Like range in artillery, children’s books
project the psychological and physical closeness of the world out into a
plane of total abstraction: the target, the word that lies over the
thing, a vanishing port. That many of these books were written after WWI
is probably no coincidence – Prufrock sounds pretty childish, right?

Ms. AbdelRahim contrasts these books with antidotes from outside of the
European or Anglophone world: Nikolai Nosov’s Dunno trilogy which
managed to attack both Stalinism and the grotesqueries of Western
Imperialism with true anarchist verve; and Tove Jansson’s lovely Moomin
books, which use from a deceptively subdued but equally effective angle,
somewhat similar to Oliver Postgate and Fred Rogers. She also contrasts
oral legends from Africa and the Indigenous Nations with the iron-clad
written texts of the West: sing-song contra lesson and staff, legends
and ideas transmitted along utterly different paths[i].

The first written records were not poems or prophecy but bills of sale
and credit. All prophets and teachers first favor the oral over the
written, as Holy Writ inevitably creates a tension between the flash of
divine revelation and outward historical time. Symbols, like all code,
won out after the primary tone faded from living memory. Or to be
cynical: “People believe almost anything they see in print”, as
Charlotte’s Web laments. Later, Guttenberg’s linear engines constructed
sentences word by word, block by block. The typeset leaf follows the
mechanism which arranged it, joining the vessel with the spirit just as
technology joins the will with the instrument. In the hour of the fixed
and perfect page, Time is a barrier to be overcome by ‘immortal’ words
printed over mere voice, transferred like data along fiber optic cables
and linked to political power and scholarly interpretation. Maybe print
is the origin of our awful preference for communication over listening,
informational exchange over the earlier forms of echo and mimic [ii]. At
the forefront of this program lies the discipline called Education, a
system of transforming the passive sensual nature of the early years of
life into an active state where vision, hearing and touch are identified
as receptive nodes and used accordingly.

Many of Ms. AbdelRahim’s most piercing observations come from her
analysis of how children are taught in the places like Sudan versus the
Bismarckian methods that still dominate European and US schools. Child
psychology, sociology, the obsession with the origins of language
(Chomsky again, and Skinner), fear of ‘wild children’ or Hillary’s Super
Predators loose in Manhattan, Midwich Cuckoos and Bad Seeds… all of
these concoctions show that we still recognize the power and terror of
the childhood mind. Behind the eyes of a child lurks Satan or Pan, green
children from below, our old beings in funhouse distortion. So childhood
and children are test-subjects to be handled with a vicious scientific
timidity which must find either Eden or the serpent in the egg.

Ms. AbdelRahim’s critiques of Lewis Carroll, Frank Baum, Milne, Lewis
and Sendak are incisive and carefully thought through, stated clearly
but with a true feel for poetics and ambiguity. As arguments, they are
probably irrefutable. But something is missing, perhaps because it may
be beyond even the most imaginative and sincere adult: How children
themselves read and think about those very patriarchal, very tutorial
tales that confront them.

While considering the purpose of most children’s books, the author uses
Pierre Bourdieu’s concept of the doxa:

     “The immediate knowledge a person has but is not aware of having”,
which “goes without saying because it comes without saying”… “Doxa is
the particular point of view, the point of view of the dominant, which
presents and imposes itself as a universal point of view – the point of
view of those who dominate by dominating the state…” This elliptical
remark would seem to indicate that doxic beliefs, although shared by
all, are themselves produced and reproduced by the dominant class. What
is odd, however, is that this group never deliberately planted them in a
given field’s epistemological soil. Doxic assumptions, then, are a sort
of unseen and unintended support for the rule of the dominant.

But does not such a critique risk falling into the same dialectical trap
which lies at the heart of children’s literature? An admission of the
total triumph of Logic and its sleeping signs over the pure action of
childhood reading, that way of perception which now looks so estranged
to us and is – and is never again in one’s life – utterly indivisible
from the torrent of autodidactic and autochaotic images, visions and
sounds all around us? Could not The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe be
freed from its own doxa by the seeds of its own destruction, by a daemon
arising from an exterior which is also an interior? Childhood sight is
childhood thought; childhood mind later becomes the orphan of every one
of our phony homecomings – for there can be no ‘childhood mind’ once you
have crossed into adolescence. Beyond this point, there isn’t even a
drop of sweetness left in our cruelty. And no matter how accurate any
indictment of ruling power and its labyrinthine mirror-effects may be,
does it not conceal the doxa of the doxa? At the center is the same
subject – The Child & Childhood – two concepts completely foreign to
children. Perhaps doxic structures only exist when the subject
recognizes them in the production of Childhood, is compelled to
recognize them by various means above and below. But outside of this
Childhood industry, such things are not even phantoms.

When you read kids’ books again as an adult, your own clouded memory of
a childhood reading produces the suspicion – even if distorted by
sentimentality, by a wish to defend a cloying preciousness against your
own better judgment – that you are not rereading the same book at all.
We are told not to judge a book by its cover, which is dangerous advice.
They want to teach us to destroy an ‘innocent’ way of seeing things as
adjacent screens, rather than as a set of eternal and unyielding
oppositions (Is this the genesis of those terrible childhood dreams
where every familiar face turns out to be a changeling? No one forgets
them, or ever stops having them entirely). The defeat of our first ways
of seeing is expressed in that fateful admission of emptiness described
by Milne. He could see it in no other way than as the preliminary
suicide of a tortured middle class, prey to a doxa before which only his
child-readers might remain blind.

And how is it that children love to listen to words that ‘make no sense’
in languages they do not know, to books like Finnegans Wake, which
adults always tell us are ‘incomprehensible’? In the most profound pages
of her book, Ms. AbdelRahim recounts an arrogant lecture given a Somali
mother by a well-meaning Swiss refugee camp worker (May Allah save us
from the well-meaning). The ‘illiterate’ mother is a repository of
language, legends, history and a past that has not yet been consigned to
the Past – and perhaps this is the only way to retain your childhood –
yet all the health worker can offer her are exhortations to the same
devastating literacy that the Nativists and colonial states demand. The
anarchist mistrust of analogy and metaphor most forcefully put forward
by John Zerzan is given the starkest of proofs, here in a displaced
persons’ camp in a West that can no longer read its own unreadable
records, wandering ragged in its old German robes.

The knowledge of the learned is rarely anything more than the annexation
of property from the periphery of a central point, an arrogant
assumption of ‘facts’ free from uneasy questions and especially
effective when humiliating others. In contrast, a child learns by
anti-learning, by a substitution of the seer with the object (for
adults, call it schizophrenia), by a series of dissolves and
impersonations that are no different from the thing perceived. Before
the law of voyeur voyant has been imposed (tellingly, from the world of
Fashion), maybe the child ‘sees’ nothing at all – which is why every
child wants to be invisible, and the death of parents is the greatest
dream of this childhood when it first feels the weight of practical
oppression (confession on the part of Sendak; polemic on the part of
Time Bandits). In the end, we might have come too far to look back on
childhood at all. Bakunin’s dictum that “anyone who makes plans for
after the revolution is a reactionary” is more profound than we think.

By now, even the purpose of ordering childhood in order to order
adulthood has been forgotten, leaving only sadistic models behind.
Models are the fate of many children, who once constructed them with
harmless glue and scissors: prison, mental asylums, the halls of the
analysts and medical theorists, even gated communities. It began with
the Word, which became bruised flesh in school and the only heat at
home. What we have learned since then is all too obvious, which gives
even the most reactionary kids’ book a pathos scarcely less moving than
the little creatures in its pages. The author of Tarka the Otter, which
I remember as a lovely book, returned from the First World War an
agoraphobic ruin who found anything but fur and leaf impossible to bear.
To heal himself, he joined Mosely’s British Union of Fascists. Safety
first, I guess.

Capitalism does accept the right to be hopeless, a right that can only
be superseded by fire. A recent newsclip shows a lonely gorilla
attacking a steel crane on a last tract of wild land, which seems like a
scene out of a children’s book. We speak different languages now, as
permanent exiles often do. Goodnight, more than Moon.

Notes.

[i] Ms. AbdelRahim uses her own polyglot childhood in East and West to
make her some of her most telling observations. These
beautifully-recounted episodes are some of the most compelling parts of
the book.

[ii] Never mind here that the printing press was invented in China. We
are speaking a ‘Western’ fable.