[D66] The Right to Useful Unemployment

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Thu Aug 20 09:40:25 CEST 2020

https://www.workingnowandthen.com/scholarstudent/reviews/ivan-illich-the-right-to-useful-unemployment/

  Ivan Illich, The Right to Useful Unemployment

        *Illich, Ivan. **/The Right to Useful Unemployment/
        <https://amzn.to/2L9kDXe>. **London: Marion Boyars, 1978.*

Review by Hayyim Rothman

Philosopher Ivan Illich presents a theory of non-work very distinct from
that of Mario Tronti. In /The Right to Useful Unemployment/, Illich
defines poverty as the inability to act autonomously. For example,
Illich says a man is poor if the use-value of his feet is lost because
he lives in a sprawling metropolis or works on the thirty-fifth floor of
a skyscraper. Poverty is thus defined as a condition of modern economic
growth, because it leaves people useless unless they are employed or
engaged in consumption.

This is an extremely interesting way of looking at labor on the one hand
and poverty on the other. Labor is the ability to act effectively.
Poverty is a circumstance in which labor is no longer meaningful or
useful. The specifically modern condition of both, according to Illich,
is when the commodity relation renders basic human functions and skills
antiquated, depriving them of their force and significance.

This conception of poverty as impotence also cuts across traditional
classes. Both the rich and the poor are rendered impotent by the
commodity relation; the difference is only that the rich have a greater
ability to overcome this impotence by purchasing and consuming
commodities at a rate and level which the poor cannot.

In /The Right to Useful Employment/, Illich explores the problems of
market dependence. He begins with a discussion of market intensity,
arguing that crisis becomes a mechanism for reshaping culture to
constrict the rights and abilities of average people. Illich contends
that the process of commodity proliferation destroys cultures and
creates unprecedented levels of dependence. This makes for conflict: the
have-nots /must/fight for their share of the goods because having these
goods is the basic condition of life. The alternative, according to
Illich, is to refuse the commodity relation and re-skill so as to be
less dependent upon it.

Illich makes an argument against consumerism by attacking the myths of a
consumer-based society. These include the idea that people are born to
be consumers and the illusion that purchasing goods and services helps
people attain their goals. To Illich, commodities and services disable
independent functioning, making them counterproductive. Consumerism thus
harms productivity and detracts from culture because the focus is on
consuming rather than making.

Part of Illich’s argument rests on a critique of professionalized
institutions. He argues that professional authorities plays a central
role in advocating for consumerism. Not only do professionals promote
the illusion that people are meant to be consumers, they also argue that
only special operators can be trusted with modern tools and people
should follow expert opinions about what they need to consume. Here,
Illich places himself squarely in the debate over the value of experts.
However, what does it really mean to question expertise? Can the layman
really administer the lifesaving procedures that modern medicine has
devised? Can he or she devise new ones without the knowledge and
expertise required? While Illich prioritizes agency and autonomy, this
fundamental distrust of expertise can lead in a terribly reactionary
direction.

In this work, Illich develops a case for the notion of individual
capacity and communal self-sufficiency. His ideas differ drastically
from both capitalist and Marxist economic orthodoxy and comes far closer
to historical anarchist trends of thought. Illich’s work is an original
and intellectually engaging approach to the concept of poverty,
unemployment, and consumerism.

        Return to the reviews
        <https://www.workingnowandthen.com/scholarstudent/reviews/> or
        the annotated bibliography
        <https://www.workingnowandthen.com/scholarstudent/historiography/>

/Hayyim Rothman has a PhD in Philosophy from Boston College and recently
received a Fulbright postdoctoral research fellowship to work at Bar
Ilan University in Israel./