[D66] How Everything Can Collapse: A Manual for Our Times

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Thu Aug 20 09:16:57 CEST 2020

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2020/06/19/review-pablo-servigne-and-rapha%C3%ABl-stevens-how-everything-can-collapse-manual-our

  Of Collapsology

Scott McLemee reviews /How Everything Can Collapse: A Manual for Our
Times/ by Pablo Servigne and Raphaël Stevens.

    By

Scott McLemee <https://www.insidehighered.com/users/scott-mclemee>
June 19, 2020
<https://www.insidehighered.com/sites/default/server_files/styles/large/public/media/1509541381.jpg?itok=d-lhQuJ7>

*On New Year’s day,* I posted on social media a passage from the
/Encyclopedia Galactica/, a reference work to be published several
millennia from now but available to me, on occasion, because I know a
guy. (Long story.
<http://art.yale.edu/file_columns/0000/0066/borges.pdf>) “Given
developments over the next several decades,” it read, “many looked back
on the 2010s as a period of relative stability …”

Well, that didn’t take long to confirm. In the meantime Pablo Servigne
and Raphaël Stevens’s /How Everything Can Collapse: A Manual for Our
Times/ (Polity Press
<https://www.wiley.com/en-us/How+Everything+Can+Collapse%3A+A+Manual+for+our+Times-p-9781509541393>)
has arrived in English translation, offering an assessment of several
trend lines already obvious when the book was published in France five
years ago. The authors (an agronomist and an expert in the resilience of
socio-ecological systems, respectively) have coined a semi-sardonic
term, “collapsology,” to name the transdisciplinary field of study for
which their book is a primer.

A little irony is understandable insofar as “collapse” implies a
discrete event, unmistakable and undeniable: the sudden, swift implosion
of a structure. Given that connotation, to speak of the collapse of
industrial civilization means risking the suspicion that you are, like
Chicken Little, extrapolating wildly from dubious information. Servigne
and Stevens do not make forecasts or resort to scenario building. (In
that regard, collapsology differs from the old futurology, which was
prone to blending social science and science fiction into projections
that seldom aged well.) For them, collapse is an array of processes
developing at different tempos, with effects that may vary by geography,
and interacting in ways that defy generalization, much less prediction.

*What the authors call* their “manual for our times” is part of the
ongoing effort to re-evaluate globalization-think in the wake of the
2008 financial crisis and its anxious aftermath. With hindsight, the
integration of whole continents into even larger networks of
transportation, communication, supply chains and currency flows was
predicated on an expectation that continual economic growth would
establish durable harmonies of interest. The emerging order would be
complex but self-reinforcing. A rising tide would lift all boats, which
would all have Wi-Fi eventually.

Unsustainable elements of this system, particularly of the environmental
kind, were in view even before the end of the 20th century. If not just
the tide but the ocean level itself were rising, it would obliterate the
existing coastline, with an incalculable impact on the residents, human
and otherwise. When the specter of global financial collapse returned in
2008, the sharp increase in food prices caused riots in at least 35
countries, followed by a prolonged phase of reduced growth. That did
not, however, reverse the trend toward longer and more complex supply
chains:

“Our living conditions /at this precise time and in this precise
place/,” the authors say, “depend on what happened /a short time ago in
many places on Earth/ … A shock such as the insolvency of a supplier
spreads vertically and then horizontally as it destabilizes competitors.
To crown it all, supply chains are all the more fragile as they depend
on the good health of the financial system that provides the credit
lines necessary to any economic activity.”

Here the potential for myriad social and political upheavals is
practically built into the system. But Servigne and Stevens identify a
more fundamental element of instability than either financial volatility
or the precarious long-distance functioning of production networks: the
declining rate of energy return on investment. EROI is the amount of
energy surplus generated per unit of energy required to generate it. “At
the beginning of the twentieth century,” they write, “U.S. oil had a
fantastic EROI of 100:1 … In 1990 it had fallen to only 35:1, and today
[2015] it is about 11:1. As a comparison, the average EROI of the
world’s production of conventional oil is between 10:1 and 20:1.”

Nor is the problem limited to petroleum, since renewable energy sources
have a significantly lower return, with solar energy’s EROI in the range
of 1.6 to 2.5 units generated for the amount invested in manufacturing
the technology. Hydroelectricity’s EROI is a quite respectable 35 to one
or 49 to one but can do serious damage to the natural habitat. The
existing infrastructure of 21st-century global capitalism -- “swift
transport, long and fluid supply chains, industrial agriculture,
heating, water purification, the internet and so on” -- was forged in a
period of high EROI that there is no reason to expect will return.
“Ultimately,” the authors say, “modernity will not have died of its
postmodern philosophical wounds but because it has run out of energy.”

*My overview here is* very schematic, while the book itself is packed
with both data and salient conceptual distinctions garnered from
numerous studies -- most of them published over the past 20 years. One
is the NASA-funded Human and Nature Dynamics (HANDY) model of a
civilization’s development given certain biophysical constraints and
parameters of economic inequality. The HANDY results were published in
2014, indicating that growing disparities in wealth rendered even a
presumably “sustainable” or eco-friendly economic system susceptible to
long-term decline. Optimism seems imprudent.

“Today, as most poor countries and the majority of people in rich
countries suffer from astonishing levels of inequality and the
destruction of their living conditions, ever more piercing cries of
alarm rise into the media sky,” write Servigne and Stevens. “But those
who find this annoying inveigh against ‘catastrophism,’ while others
shoot the messengers, and nobody really cares.” I think the authors
would admit that last bit is an overstatement. But the point is that we
have no idea what it would take to change the situation, or to find the
will.

    Read more by

Scott McLemee <https://www.insidehighered.com/users/scott-mclemee>