[D66] The Quarantine Files - LARB

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Sun Aug 16 15:34:54 CEST 2020

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/

APRIL 14, 2020

            Like so many nonprofits and literary communities, many of
            LARB’s fundraising sources have been upended. In order to
            continue providing free coverage of the best in writing and
            thought, we are relying on your support now more than ever.

            Donate $1 or more, and receive /The Quarantine Files/ as an
            ePub or PDF, right in your mailbox.
            <https://lareviewofbooks.kindful.com/?campaign=1063140>
            <https://lareviewofbooks.kindful.com/?campaign=1063140>

            <https://lareviewofbooks.kindful.com/?campaign=1063140>

            ¤

        Introduction by Brad Evans

THREE WEEKS AGO, I was sitting in front of my computer at home trying to
finish an essay on educating children. But I was unable to concentrate.
A broadcaster with a notably concerned expression was reporting on the
spread of the coronavirus, which was now advancing across mainland
Europe. It was no longer a “Chinese problem,” which many had hoped to
keep at a “safe distance.” Its effects were becoming a global issue. As
the days passed, any concept of time I had was replaced by the rising
tide of casualty statistics. I watched as the anxiety and concern spread
almost as quickly as the virus itself.

I kept thinking about “domino” and “butterfly” “effects” and how
radically interconnected we truly were. Admittedly ignorant to the
science, I needed to find out more, but the “news” was no comfort. As
nations started falling victim one by one to the virus, we all started
coming to terms with the vocabulary of “lockdown,” “isolation,” and
“quarantine.” Some undoubtedly responded in a more humane way than others.

Like many authors, I wanted to say something, partly I now see for my
own sanity, but didn’t know where to begin. I just knew that I was
becoming increasingly concerned, not only for the welfare of others, but
of my loved ones, family, friends, and companions alike. Writing has
always been my therapy to the horrors of the world. And I still maintain
there is no better reason to write or express — in any medium — than to
feel the world’s beauty and pain. But was it all simply too close or too
reactionary?

There certainly was no shortage of reflections being offered. Everyone
is now an expert, it seems, and yet never have we felt more in the dark
about outcomes — even the most basic, questioning whether there will be
enough food to go around. But I couldn’t find the words to do justice to
this unfolding tragedy, except to repeat the warnings from history and
the need to be vigilant to its political effects. I now see my inertia
was revealing of a deeper fear and a sense of foreboding: that of being
alone, writing alone.

When proposing this edition to the editorial team at the /Los Angeles
Review of Books/, I therefore had the simple intuition there were
probably others who wanted to respond, but also not simply /in/
isolation. What I have also discovered is that they too had doubts. Some
initially committed and then withdrew for reasons all too
understandable. What was the point of saying anything right now? Should
we not spend more time reflecting on the significance? Might we not
simply reaffirm our own privileged positions? Worse still, might our
interventions come across as parasitic to the virus?

Following supportive discussions with my loving wife and the editorial
team, I set about to bring together a small group of critical thinkers,
artists, and poets who could all in their own way share their thoughts
and concerns. My intention was not to create some unified voice,
resilience style help-guide, or mini-manual for political survival. It
was to invite responses from authors who might reveal their own unique
tensions, fears, and even doubts about the types of interventions the
world needs right now.

Despite the reservations, I don’t think I’ve ever been more humbled by
the responses and the trust the contributors to this curated volume have
shown in these desperate times.

I do hope these contributions help spark conversations on how we move
forward, which will no doubt continue in the years to come.

¤

 1. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn1>Kehinde
    Andrews
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn1>:
    “The Other Pandemic”
 2. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn2>Lauren
    Berlant
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn2>:
    “In the morning I yell”
 3. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn3>Russell
    Brand
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn3>:
    “All I need is the air that I breathe (And to love you)”
 4. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn4>Wendy
    Brown
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn4>:
    “From Exposure to Manifestation”
 5. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn5>Jake
    Chapman
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn5>:
    “Four Weddings and a Mass Grave”
 6. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn6>Simon
    Critchley
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn6>:
    “Sorry to Disappoint (I knew I should have been a hairdresser)”
 7. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn7>Camille
    Dungy
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn7>:
    “Winter: Past is Prelude”
 8. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn8>Cynthia
    Enloe
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn8>:
    “Pulling my COVID-19 language out of the trenches”
 9. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn9>Roberto
    Esposito
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn9>:
    “Instituting Life”
10. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn10>Brad
    Evans
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn10>:
    “The Love Leviathan”
11. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn11>Simona
    Forti
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn11>:
    “Pan-demic: All people-in-one or pandemonium?”
12. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn12>Henry
    A. Giroux
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn12>:
    “The Plague of Neoliberalism and the Politics of Pandemics”
13. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn13>David
    Theo Goldberg
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn13>:
    “Tracking Capitalism and COVID-19”
14. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn14>Jack
    Halberstam
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn14>:
    “Frantic”
15. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn15>Saidiya
    Hartman
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn15>:
    “The Death Toll”
16. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn16>Brian
    Massumi
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn16>:
    “The American Virus”
17. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn17>Todd
    May
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn17>:
    “This is Not the Time for Theory”
18. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn18>Chantal
    Meza
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn18>:
    “Viral Ecologies: A Litany for Our Times”
19. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn19>Nicholas
    Mirzoeff
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn19>:
    “Notes from the Necropolis”
20. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn20>Adrian
    Parr
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn20>:
    “Crisis”
21. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn21>Julian
    Reid
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn21>:
    “Our Big War”
22. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn22>Eugene
    Thacker
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn22>:
    “Pathological Life”
23. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn23>McKenzie
    Wark
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn23>:
    “She’s Not There”
24. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn24>Eyal
    Weizman
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn24>:
    “Surveilling the Virus”
25. <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn25>George
    Yancy
    <https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/quarantine-files-thinkers-self-isolation/#_ftn25>:
    “Bodies Without Edges: Rethinking Borders of Invulnerability”

[...]