[D66] A Future with No Future: Depression, the Left, and the Politics of Mental Health

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Sun Aug 16 08:31:57 CEST 2020

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/future-no-future-depression-left-politics-mental-health

Mikkel Krause Frantzen holds a PhD from the Department of Arts and
Cultural Studies, University of Copenhagen, and is currently
postdoctoral fellow at University of Aalborg, Denmark. He is the author
of Going Nowhere, Slow — The Aesthetics and Politics of Depression (Zero
Books, 2019).

[...]

danletras • 8 months ago

Question: "It goes without saying that all mental illnesses are
neurologically instantiated, but this says nothing about their
causation. If it is true, for instance, that depression is constituted
by low serotonin levels, what still needs to be explained is why
particular individuals have low levels of serotonin." -- Mark Fisher

Answer: “We were never designed for the sedentary, indoor,
sleep-deprived, socially-isolated, fast-food-laden, frenetic pace of
modern life.”—Stephen Ilardi, PhD

By far, the writers/thinkers/activists doing the most important and most
useful work responding to the questions posed by Mark Fisher and by
Mikkel Krause Frantzen are the anti-civilization (anti-civ) or
anarcho-primitivist philosophers, such as Chellis Glendenning, John
Zerzan, Kevin Tucker, Daniel Quinn, Lierre Keith, Paul Shepard, Derrick
Jensen, Layla Abdel Rahim and others. The thesis that they pursue is
that our bodies and our brains evolved within and for environments and
social systems that were radically different than the situations in
which we find ourselves today. As the author Christopher Ryan puts it in
his 2019 book "Civilized to Death," we are like animals trapped in zoos
and cages, except that we ourselves designed the zoos and cages. These
authors look to the nonhierarchical, place-based lifeways of indigenous
hunter gatherer peoples for glimpses into ways of being not defined by
the ravages of domestication and the four alienations Karl Marx outlined
in his Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844.