[D66] Ekpyrosis

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Aug 12 19:30:13 CEST 2020

Capitalism's infra-economic substrate – the material conditions of
current “material conditions” – is changing faster than the technical
and political superstructures of the dominant civilization. There is no
dialectic that can break this deadlock. The “intentional” acceleration
of capitalist machinery, posed as a solution to our present
anthropological destitution, finds itself in an objective contradiction
with another, absolutely not intentional acceleration: the inexorable
process of positive feedback of environmental transformations that have
nefarious consequences for the species’ Umwelt. There are strong
reasons, in short, to fear that a globally integrated post-capitalism
will not arrive fast enough to prevent a “slow” planetary ecological
collapse. Paul Virilio's old dromology has been surpassed by a speed
that is wholly other.