[D66] An Autobiography of Death in Mexico City

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Aug 12 13:08:56 CEST 2020

https://feralhouse.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Several_Ways_to_Die_In_Mexico.jpg

  Several Ways To Die In Mexico City

        An Autobiography of Death in Mexico City

          Kurt Hollander

https://feralhouse.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Several_Ways_to_Die_In_Mexico.jpg

In the ’80s, when author/photographer Kurt Hollander lived in New York
and published /The Portable Lower East/, life there was particularly
rough, and cops often drove yellow cabs as a method to surprise and
roust its residents. Before the decade ended, Hollander moved to the
equally rough climes of Mexico City, making his living writing and
photographing for /The Guardian/, /The New York Times/, /Los Angeles
Times/, and many other publications.

Hollander’s visual and textual extravaganza, /Several Ways to Die in
//Mexico City/, provides a perspective of this extraordinary city that
could only have been caught by an observant outsider who lived in all
its nooks and crannies for over two decades.

Crammed with caustic but fair observations of the city’s history, food,
cults, drugs, and buildings, Hollander proves that he can love a city
and culture that also kills its inhabitants softly. The book contains
dozens of extraordinary photographs.

While living high in Mexico City, *Kurt Hollander* edited /poliester/,
the renowned bilingual art magazine about the Americas. He also directed
the feature film /Carambola/ and wrote a successful series of children’s
books. Grove Press published the /Portable Lower East Side /anthology in
1994.

/“An amazing book that takes the reader on a wild, woolly, and
consistently witty death trip, covering everything from Mexico’s rich
history of human sacrifice to the dangers of eating, drinking and
breathing in its capital.”
*— */*Harold Schechter, author of /The Whole Death Catalog/*

“. . . thank Kurt Hollander for leading us through a city in which many
would not have the heart, lungs, stomach, or street smarts to survive.”
*/*— New York Journal of Books*/*

“Several Ways to Die in Mexico City stumbled into my lap and changed the
way I think about what I eat and drink.”
/*– Hot Reads*/

            ISBN: 978-1-936239-48-1 | eISBN: 978-1-936239-49-8 | 6x9 ,
            245 pages | $22.95