[D66] The Costs of Economic Growth (1967)

R.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Tue Aug 11 21:52:41 CEST 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Mishan

  E. J. Mishan

 From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Mishan#mw-head>
Jump to search <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Mishan#searchInput>

*Ezra J. Mishan* (aka "*Edward*"; 15 November 1917 – 22 September
2014^[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Mishan#cite_note-1> ) was
an English economist best known for his work criticising economic growth
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_growth>. Between 1956 and 1977
he worked at the London School of Economics
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_School_of_Economics> where he
became Professor of Economics. In 1965, while at the LSE, he wrote his
seminal work /The Costs of Economic Growth/,^[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Mishan#cite_note-2> but was unable
to find a publisher until 1967.^[3]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Mishan#cite_note-3> In this work he
expanded on his original 1960 thesis^[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Mishan#cite_note-4> which stated
that the /“precondition of sustained growth is sustained discontent”/,
warning developing nations that /“the thorny path to industrialisation
leads, after all, only to the waste land of Subtopia”/.^[5]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._J._Mishan#cite_note-5> /The Costs of
Economic Growth/ presaged many of the concerns of the Green movement
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Politics> that followed.

    See also

Degrowth <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degrowth>