[D66] UK to introduce emergency laws to curb coronavirus outbreak

Antid Oto jugg at ziggo.nl
Sun Apr 5 11:36:52 CEST 2020

Emergency legislation becomes law, giving ministers unprecedented powers
to tackle coronavirus outbreak
By
Ashley Cowburn
independent.co.uk
2 min
View Original

Draconian emergency powers to help ministers deal with the covid-19
pandemic have become law, as the Queen granted the legislation royal assent.

It comes after both the Lords and the Commons passed the unprecedented
329-page bill in just three days, bringing into force the Coronavirus
Act 2020.

It will see the powers of ministers, councils, police, health
professionals and coroners temporarily strengthened during the UK's
current lockdown, which is designed to stall the spread of the
potentially deadly illness.

Ministers, for example, will now have the ability to restrict or
prohibit events and gatherings during the outbreak of the virus, “in any
place, vehicle, train, vessel or aircraft, any moveable structure and
any offshore installations and where necessary, to close premises”.

The new laws will also allow for the greater use of video hearings in
court cases, and introduce changes so that thousands of recently retired
NHS staff will be able to return to work, without any loss of pensions
rights.

Other changes include reducing the number of doctors required to sign
off on sectioning those with mental health issues from two to one, while
police would be given authority to force those infected with covid-19 to
self-isolate

The legislation, which will be in force for a two-year period, will be
reviewed by MPs every six months, after No 10 relented to pressure
earlier this week.

Cross-party MPs raised concerns that the draconian legislation had
severe implications for human rights and civil liberties, while the
former cabinet minister David Davis also said there will inevitably be
mistakes in the legislation due to it being fast-tracked through both
the Commons and Lords.

"The bill is guaranteed to have flaws, even with the best draughtsman in
the world,” the former Brexit secretary said.

To alleviate their concerns, Downing Street submitted its own amendment
to the bill, giving MPs the powers to review certain key powers
contained in the bill on a twice-yearly basis.

Health Minister Lord Bethell expressed his "profound thanks" to those
involved with the bill and ensuring its swift passage through
parliament, including other political parties, who he said had "worked
in a collaborative and supportive way during this whole process".

He added: "I would like to thank those who work in parliament and House
of Lords who are here today at considerable risk to themselves and have
displayed amazing commitment to this remarkable organisation."

Opposition frontbencher Baroness Thornton said it had been a "perfect
exercise in consultation and work across the House".