[D66] Mexico’s President Lopez leads first “El Grito” ceremony

A.OUT jugg at ziggo.nl
Tue Sep 17 10:32:01 CEST 2019

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/amlos-cry-of-independence-a-simple-affair/

AMLO’s cry of independence and 20 ‘vivas’ a simple affair devoid of luxury
Unlike previous years, it wasn't a show of ostentation or a photo opp
for the president
Published on Monday, September 16, 2019

    185shares

In front of more than 130,000 revelers in Mexico City’s central square
on Sunday night, President López Obrador gave his first cry of
independence as the nation’s head of state.

>From the presidential balcony of the National Palace, López Obrador
delivered a total of 20 “vivas,” all of which were reciprocated
enthusiastically by the thousands of patriots gathered in the zócalo.

Five independence heroes, the nation’s mothers and fathers, anonymous
heroes, the heroic people of Mexico, indigenous communities, liberty,
justice, democracy, sovereignty, universal fraternity, peace, the
cultural grandeur of Mexico and independence itself were all wished
“long life” by the president before he concluded the ceremony with the
traditional thrice-repeated refrain of “¡viva México!”

Unlike in previous years, the ceremony wasn’t marked by ostentation or
used as a photo opportunity by the president’s family.

López Obrador was accompanied only by his wife, Beatriz Gutiérrez
Müller, as he delivered El Grito de Dolores, while his three adult sons
and their partners, along with the president’s fourth son, 11-year-old
Jesús Ernesto, watched proceedings from a National Palace balcony far
removed from the focus of attention.

More than 100,000 people joined President López Obrador for the
traditional shout of independence Sunday in the Mexico City zócalo.

While former president Enrique Peña Nieto, his then-wife Angélica Rivera
and their children were applauded by hundreds of invited guests as they
made their way to the presidential balcony for last year’s ceremony,
López Obrador’s almost 500 guests were nowhere to be seen as cameras
followed him and Gutiérrez through the National Palace.

In fact, the president’s guests weren’t even afforded the privilege of
witnessing the ceremony live, watching it instead on a large screen set
up in the patio of the National Palace.

Members of López Obrador’s cabinet weren’t seen until the elaborate
fireworks display that followed the formal ceremony was underway.

Foreign Affairs Secretary Marcelo Ebrard and Finance Secretary Arturo
Herrera were among the officials who watched the pyrotechnics from
balconies dotted along the façade of the seat of executive power.

For the thousands of proud Mexicans who flocked to the capital’s
downtown for last night’s festivities, getting into the zócalo was less
arduous than it has been in the past. Only minimal security checks were
carried out by police, who patrolled the central square and nearby
streets in massive numbers.

Military personnel dressed in civilian clothes mixed with the revelers
in the zócalo to ensure people’s safety but went unnoticed, the
newspaper Milenio reported, because they weren’t required to eject or
arrest any troublemakers.

Many people arrived early for the 11:00pm ceremony. ‘How am I?’ reads
the sign, ‘happy, happy, happy!’

Celebrations marking the 209th anniversary of the beginning of the
Mexican War of Independence continue across the country on Monday.

In Mexico City, 50 airplanes and 22 helicopters will accompany a
military parade through downtown streets. For the first time in Mexican
history, two women will be among the Air Force pilots who fly the planes
over the historic center of the nation’s capital.

Source: Milenio (sp)

    185