[D66] Concentratiekampen in de VS

A.OUT jugg at ziggo.nl
Mon Jun 24 05:52:39 CEST 2019

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/06/21/some-suburb-of-hell-americas-new-concentration-camp-system/

‘Some Suburb of Hell’: America’s New Concentration Camp System
Andrea Pitzer
Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images
Barbed wire, fences, and security cameras surrounding a tent city
constructed in 2007 to house undocumented immigrants in Raymondville, Texas

On Monday, New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez referred to
US border detention facilities as “concentration camps,” spurring a
backlash in which critics accused her of demeaning the memory of those
who died in the Holocaust. Debates raged over a label for what is
happening along the southern border and grew louder as the week rolled
on. But even this back-and-forth over naming the camps has been a
recurrent feature in the mass detention of civilians ever since its
inception, a history that long predates the Holocaust.

At the heart of such policy is a question: What does a country owe
desperate people whom it does not consider to be its citizens? The
twentieth century posed this question to the world just as the shadow of
global conflict threatened for the second time in less than three
decades. The dominant response was silence, and the doctrine of absolute
national sovereignty meant that what a state did to people under its
control, within its borders, was nobody else’s business. After the
harrowing toll of the Holocaust with the murder of millions, the world
revisited its answer, deciding that perhaps something was owed to those
in mortal danger. From the Fourth Geneva Convention protecting civilians
in 1949 to the 1989 Convention on the Rights of the Child, the
international community established humanitarian obligations toward the
most vulnerable that apply, at least in theory, to all nations.

The twenty-first century is unraveling that response. Countries are
rejecting existing obligations and meeting asylum seekers with walls and
fences, from detainees fleeing persecution who were sent by Australia to
third-party detention in the brutal offshore camps of Manus and Nauru to
razor-wire barriers blocking Syrian refugees from entering Hungary.
While some nations, such as Germany, wrestle with how to integrate
refugees into their labor force—more and more have become resistant to
letting them in at all. The latest location of this unwinding is along
the southern border of the United States.

So far, American citizens have gotten only glimpses of the conditions in
the border camps that have been opened in their name. In the month of
May, Customs and Border Protection reported a total of 132,887 migrants
who were apprehended or turned themselves in between ports of entry
along the southwest border, an increase of 34 percent from April alone.
Upon apprehension, these migrants are temporarily detained by Border
Patrol, and once their claims are processed, they are either released or
handed over to ICE for longer-term detention. Yet Border Patrol itself
is currently holding about 15,000 people, nearly four times what
government officials consider to be this enforcement arm’s detention
capacity.

[...]