[D66] Concentratiekampen in de VS

A.OUT jugg at ziggo.nl
Mon Jun 24 00:54:11 CEST 2019

(En de NOS zwijgt over de feiten.)

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a27813648/concentration-camps-southern-border-migrant-detention-facilities-trump/

An Expert on Concentration Camps Says That's Exactly What the U.S. Is
Running at the Border
By
Jack Holmes
esquire.com
18 min
View Original

Surely, the United States of America could not operate concentration
camps. In the American consciousness, the term is synonymous with the
Nazi death machines across the European continent that the Allies began
the process of dismantling 75 years ago this month. But while the
world-historical horrors of the Holocaust are unmatched, they are only
the most extreme and inhuman manifestation of a concentration-camp
system—which, according to Andrea Pitzer, author of One Long Night: A
Global History of Concentration Camps, has a more global definition.
There have been concentration camps in France, South Africa, Cuba, the
Soviet Union, and—with Japanese internment—the United States. In fact,
she contends we are operating such a system right now in response to a
very real spike in arrivals at our southern border.

“We have what I would call a concentration camp system,” Pitzer says,
“and the definition of that in my book is, mass detention of civilians
without trial.”

Historians use a broader definition of concentration camps, as well.

"What's required is a little bit of demystification of it," says Waitman
Wade Beorn, a Holocaust and genocide studies historian and a lecturer at
the University of Virginia. "Things can be concentration camps without
being Dachau or Auschwitz. Concentration camps in general have always
been designed—at the most basic level—to separate one group of people
from another group. Usually, because the majority group, or the creators
of the camp, deem the people they're putting in it to be dangerous or
undesirable in some way."

[...]