[D66] Breathing

A.OUT jugg at ziggo.nl
Thu Jul 11 08:50:24 CEST 2019

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/breathing

    Home Humanities Literature & Criticism Breathing

Breathing

>From Semiotext(e) / Intervention Series
Breathing
Chaos and Poetry

By Franco "Bifo" Berardi
The increasingly chaotic rhythm of our respiration, and the sense of
suffocation that grows everywhere: an essay on poetical therapy.

Distributed for Semiotext(e)

Overview
Author(s)
Summary

The increasingly chaotic rhythm of our respiration, and the sense of
suffocation that grows everywhere: an essay on poetical therapy.

Since the hopeful days of the Occupy movement, many things have changed
in the respiration of the world, and we have entered a cycle of spasm,
despair, and chaos. Breathing is a book about the increasingly chaotic
rhythm of our respiration, about the sense of suffocation that grows
everywhere.“I can't breathe.” These words panted by Eric Garner before
dying, strangled by a police officer on the streets of  Staten Island,
capture perfectly catching the overall sentiment of our time. In
Breathing, Franco "Bifo" Berardi comes back to the subject that was the
core of his 2011 book, The Uprising: the place of poetry in the
relations between language, capital, and possibility. In The Uprising,
he focuses on poetry as an anticipation of the trend toward abstraction
that led to the present form of financial capitalism. In Breathing, he
tries to envision poetry as the excess of the field of signification, as
the premonition of a possible harmony inscribed in the present chaos.
        The Uprising was a genealogical diagnosis. Breathing is an essay
on poetical therapy. How we deal with chaos, as we know that those who
fight against chaos will be defeated, because chaos feeds upon war? How
do we deal with suffocation? Is there a way out from the corpse of
financial capitalism?