[D66] An Interactive Map of the 2, 000+ Sounds Humans Use to Communicate Without Words

A.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Sun Feb 24 09:41:59 CET 2019

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/vocs/map.html#
http://www.openculture.com/2019/02/an-interactive-map-of-the-2000-sounds-humans-use-to-communicate-without-words.html

An Interactive Map of the 2,000+ Sounds Humans Use to Communicate
Without Words: Grunts, Sobs, Sighs, Laughs & More

in Language Lessons, Psychology | February 19th, 2019 Leave a Comment
708
SHARES
Facebook
Twitter
Reddit

When did language begin? The question is not an easy one to answer.
There are no records of the event. “Languages don’t leave fossils,"
notes the Linguistic Society of America, "and fossil skulls only tell us
the overall shape and size of hominid brains, not what the brains could
do.” The scant evidence from evolutionary biology does not tell us when
early humans first began to use language, only that they could 100,000
years or so ago.

However, the question also depends on what we mean by language. Before
the linguistic technologies of grammar and syntax, hominids, like other
mammals today and a good number of non-mammals too, had a wordless
language that communicated more directly, and more honestly, than any of
the thousands of ways to string syllables into sentences.

That language still exists, of course, and those who understand it know
when someone is afraid, relieved, frustrated, angry, confused,
surprised, embarrassed, or awed, no matter what that someone says. It is
a language of feeling—of sighs, grunts, rumbles, moans, whistles,
sniffs, laughs, sobs, and so forth. Researchers call them “vocal bursts”
and as any long-suffering married couple can tell you, they communicate
a whole range of specific feelings.

“Emotional expressions,” says UC Berkeley psychology graduate student
Alan Cowen, “color our social interactions with spirited declarations of
our inner feeling that are difficult to fake, and that our friends,
co-workers and loved ones rely on to decipher our true commitments.“
Cowen and his colleagues devised a study to test the range of emotion
vocal bursts can carry.

The researchers asked 56 people, reports Discover magazine, “some
professional actors and some not, to react to different emotional
scenarios” in recordings. Next, they played the recordings for over a
1,000 people, who rated “the vocalizations based on the emotions and
tone (positive or negative) they thought the clips conveyed.”

The researchers found that “vocal bursts convey at least 24 distinct
kinds of emotions.” They plotted those feelings on a colorful
interactive map, publicly available online. "The team says it could be
useful in helping robotic devices better pin down human emotions,”
Discover writes. “It could also be handy in clinical settings, helping
patients who struggle with emotional processing.” The study only
recorded vocalizations from English speakers, and "the results would
undoubtedly vary if people from other countries or who spoke other
languages were surveyed.”

But this limitation does not undermine another implication of the study:
that human language consists of far more than just words, and that vocal
bursts, which we likely share with a wide swath of the animal kingdom,
are not only, perhaps, an original language but also one that continues
to communicate the things we can’t or won’t say to each other. Read the
study here and see the interactive vocal burst map here.

via MetaFilter

Related Content:

Where Did the English Language Come From?: An Animated Introduction

Why We Say “OK”: The History of the Most Widely Spoken Word in the World

The History of the English Language in Ten Animated Minutes

Josh Jones is a writer and musician based in Durham, NC. Follow him at
@jdmagness