[D66] WE'VE BEEN TOO PATIENT: VOICES FROM RADICAL MENTAL HEALTH

A.OUT jugg at ziggo.nl
Fri Aug 2 10:52:32 CEST 2019

https://www.wevebeentoopatient.org/

WE'VE BEEN TOO PATIENT: VOICES FROM RADICAL MENTAL HEALTH

Stories and Research Challenging the Biomedical Model
Released: July 9, 2019.  Available for pre-order now on Indiebound,
Barnes and Noble, and Amazon.

About the book

Overly medicating minors, police brutality, electro-convulsive therapy,
involuntary hospitalization--not to mention the traumas that lead to
intense altered states and suicidal thoughts: these are the struggles of
those who are labeled mentally ill. Much has been written about the
problems of the mental health care system, but in this book, we give
voice to those who have endured psychiatric “care” themselves.  But
these stories are not without hope, and many speak to radical healing in
the form of mutual aid, peer support, spirituality, art, and story
itself.  As Robert Whitaker suggests in his foreword to our book, the
current psychiatric system believes in the “magic bullets” of
pharmacological drugs and dehumanizing diagnoses. There are no magic
bullets, no single story. From the Mad Pride movement to the Consumer
Movement to trauma-informed care, mental health care stands to be
radically revised by this multitude of voices.

Published by North Atlantic Books

Distributed by Penguin Random House