[D66] Monarchic principle (Wie is van Hout?)

A.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Mon Apr 30 09:18:59 CEST 2018

"I read in Gouy's Histoire de France: "The slightest insult to the King
meant immediate death". In the American Constitution: "The people are
sovereign". In Pouget's Père Peinard: "Kings get fat off their
sovereignty, while we are starving on ours". Courbon's Secret du Peuple
tells me: "The people today means the mass of men to whom all respect is
denied". Here we have, in a few lines, the misadventures of the
principle of sovereignty.

Kings designated as 'subjects' the objects of their arbitrary will. No
doubt this was an attempt to wrap the radical inhumanity of its
domination in a humanity of idyllic bonds. The respect due to the king's
person cannot in itself be criticized. It is odious only because it is
based on the right to humiliate by subordination. Contempt rotted the
thrones of kings. But what about the citizen's sovereignty: the rights
multiplied by bourgeois vanity and jealousy, sovereignty distributed
like a dividend to each individual? What about the divine right of kings
democratically shared out?

Today, France contains twenty-four million mini-kings, of which the
greatest -- the bosses -- are great only in their ridiculousness. The
sense of respect has become degraded to the point where humiliation is
all that it demands. Democratized into public functions and roles, the
monarchic principle floats with its belly up, like a dead fish: only its
most repulsive aspect is visible. Its will to be absolutely and
unreservedly superior has disappeared. Instead of basing our lives on
our sovereignty, we try to base our sovereignty on other people's lives.
The manners of slaves." --Raoul Vaneigem

http://library.nothingness.org/articles/SI/en/pub_contents/5
Published in The Revolution of Everyday Life 1967
Translation John Fullerton Paul Sieveking