[D66] Teotihuacán egalitair?

A.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Wed Apr 4 20:48:02 CEST 2018

https://slate.com/technology/2018/04/teotihuacn-the-ancient-city-upending-archaeologists-assumptions-about-wealth-inequality.html

In This Ancient City, Even Commoners Lived in Palaces

     By Michael E. Smith, slate.com
     View Original
     April 3rd, 2018

This story was originally published in Spanish by HuffPost Mexico. A
version of it has been adapted and republished here in English with
permission from HuffPost Mexico.

Millions of tourists visit the ruins of Teotihuacán every year. They
climb the pyramids, walk the Avenue of the Dead, and learn about the
spectacular artifacts recovered from the ancient Mesoamerican city.
Looking across the vast and remarkably well-preserved stone complex,
built by hand by a pre-Aztec civilization, many likely assume that only
a powerful despotic king—directing hordes of slave or serf
laborers—could have orchestrated the construction of such a carefully
planned city. Indeed, this is what archaeologists once believed. If
tourists make the effort to visit some of the excavated residential
compounds outside the main archaeological zone, however, they may start
to understand why such assumptions about Teotihuacán society are
changing. For these structures lie at the heart of our shifting
perspective of the ancient city: namely, that it was far more
egalitarian than we had previously imagined possible.