[D66] Trumpery

A.O. jugg at ziggo.nl
Sat Jan 21 09:47:18 CET 2017

trumpery
noun
archaic

     1[mass noun] Attractive articles of little value or use:
     ‘None of your woollen drapery, nor linen drapery, nor any of your
frippery or trumpery. I hate ostentation’

     1.1 Practices or beliefs that are superficially or visually
appealing but have little real value or worth:
     ‘he exposed their ideals as trumpery’
     ‘theatrical trumpery’
     [as modifier] ‘that trumpery hope which lets us dupe ourselves’

     ‘You mean to tell me I gave the book up for nothing but trumpery?’
     ‘An assertion of absolute moral superiority in the form of
black-shirted nuclear families - spiritual trumpery via breeding.’
     ‘In fact, it's even more important to bring a critical eye to bear
on issues of such import, if only to avoid the kind of moral trumpery
that goes on in these sorts of letters.’
     ‘The weight and rhythms of Spanish expression transport me; its
physicality, drama, and lack of trumpery I find breathtaking.’
     ‘Long ago ‘elegant’ was turned from a word denoting the essence of
refinement and beauty, into gaudy trumpery.’

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/trumpery