[D66] 7 things you need to know about the SCUM Manifesto

J.N. jugg at ziggo.nl
Fri Jun 3 18:00:01 CEST 2016

http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/2667-killallmen-7-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-scum-manifesto

1. It advocates the death of all humans

SCUM Manifesto is a deeply offensive, violent book. It's author, Valerie
Solanas, hates men. Really hates them. In fact, the first sentence
argues that “thrill-seeking females” should “destroy the male sex”.

But Solanas hates men in a way that at the same time minimizes their
importance and de-centres them from her political vision.

Originally self-published in 1968, the SCUM Manifesto's central argument
is that men have created a false reality in which everyone believes that
women are men and men are women. So while people often believe that
women are inferior, passive, and less intelligent, the reality is that
these characteristics belong to men. Men are superior to women only in
their PR skills: they've persuaded us to believe that gender is quite
the opposite to what it actually is.

Her answer to this problem is that all men should die.
What many people overlook is that later on, having outlined the ways in
which capitalist society will be destroyed by her favoured, imaginary
group of SCUM – witty, bitchy, contemptful women – Solanas takes it one
step further. She argues against reproducing future generations,
writing: “Why should we care what happens when we're dead?”