[D66] Kant’s Politics in Context

J.N. jugg at ziggo.nl
Sun Sep 20 18:53:13 CEST 2015

https://lareviewofbooks.org/review/the-return-to-kant/

Mike Wayne on Kant’s Politics in Context
The Return to Kant
September 19th, 2015

"In many ways we are still in the state of nature, the state of being at
the mercy of blind forces and irrational outcomes — but the causality
for this has moved primarily from the sphere of politics to the sphere
of economics. Liberalism has played a crucial role in advancing our
political freedoms, but it is the philosophy that protects the economic
sphere from democratic accountability. If liberalism and the advance of
reason were once sufficiently paired, we can see in a return to Kant,
the already emerging contradictions which more than two centuries later
make liberalism the enemy of reason and democracy."