[D66] Report from Athens protest: 'Ukraine & Greece are not so different'

J.N. jugg at ziggo.nl
Tue Jun 30 03:14:47 CEST 2015

http://redstaroverdonbass.blogspot.nl/2015/06/report-from-athens-protest-ukraine.html

Jun
29
Report from Athens protest: 'Ukraine & Greece are not so different'

Victor Shapinov​ of Borotba (Struggle) reports on the "Vote No"
demonstration he attended in Athens, Greece, on the weekend of June 27-28:

Marching to help the Greek people free themselves from the dictatorship
of the EU, IMF, ECB.

Seeing the flag of the Lugansk People’s Republic, many approached us to
express solidarity with the Donbass struggle. The Greeks follow the
civil war in Ukraine and sympathize with the resistance. We were
approached by Turkish comrades, asking about the assassination of Alexei
Borisovich Mozgovoi and the situation with the Ghost Brigade.

On Tuesday, June 30, the right-wing forces in Athens will try to
organize their own Euromaidan. Among the groups of people gathering
support for the “pro-European” event, EuroGreeks frequently ask
questions such as, “Where will I park my SUV?” Those who receive the
minimal 250-260 Euros per month intend to vote NO in the referendum on
the continuation of cooperation with the IMF and the ECB. Workers in
Greece have long been thinking about how to escape the “Eurozone.”

Members of the leftist Syriza cheered when Prime Minister Tsipras
announced the referendum. In recent months, they have been criticized by
the more left-wing parties for continuing negotiations with creditors.

The walls are plastered with poster, and one word is everywhere: "NO.”
However, the right-wing forces are awake, some of their moves look as if
Mustafa Nayyem is already here and supervising the local NGO milieu.

There’s tension in the air. It seems Ukraine and Greece are not so
different after all.

Source

Translated by Greg Butterfield