[D66] NATO announces expansion of military force targeting Russia

J.N. jugg at ziggo.nl
Thu Jun 25 12:49:52 CEST 2015

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/06/25/nato-j25.html

NATO announces expansion of military force targeting Russia
By Niles Williamson

NATO defense ministers meeting in Brussels Wednesday and Thursday agreed
to the enlargement of the organization’s Response Force to 40,000 troops
from the current level of 13,000. On Tuesday, ahead of the meeting, US
Defense Secretary Ashton Carter announced the positioning of hundreds of
American tanks, military vehicles and heavy artillery pieces in the
Baltic States as well as Poland, Romania and Bulgaria.

This buildup of troops and military equipment is part of a long-term
reorientation of NATO directed against Russia. There is only one
conclusion the Kremlin can draw from such threatening and aggressive
measures: Washington and its European allies are preparing to go to war
against Russia. Moscow is undoubtedly preparing accordingly.

Polish Defense Minister Tomasz Siemoniak spelled out the implications of
the US-NATO policy at the conclusion of NATO war games in Poland last
week, declaring: “The peaceful period after the Second World War is
over. We cannot defend our European way of life if we don’t do more for
our defense.”

The international working class should take this statement as a dire
warning. If the post-World War II period of peace is over, the build-up
to World War III has begun.