[D66] German parliament supports attacks on Greek workers

J.N. jugg at ziggo.nl
Sat Jul 18 07:19:52 CEST 2015

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/07/18/pers-j18.html

German parliament supports attacks on Greek workers

“Politically, we are interested only in the safeguarding of peace in
this area; economically, in the establishment of an order that will
provide for the production of goods for the general benefit and again
revive the exchange of products… Towards the vanquished and unhappy
Greek nation we feel sincere sympathy. It was the victim of its deluded
leading caste.”

These words come not from German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schäuble or
Chancellor Angela Merkel, who yesterday in parliament defended the new
austerity measures to be imposed on Greece, but from Adolf Hitler. He
made this statement in parliament on May 4, 1941 after the German
Wehrmacht had conquered Greece. But the parallels to today are striking.