[D66] ‘Nothing is normal in Greece right now’

J.N. jugg at ziggo.nl
Fri Jul 3 10:49:14 CEST 2015

https://redflag.org.au/node/4725

‘Nothing is normal in Greece right now’
03 July 2015 | Colleen Bolger
Share this article:

Setting out from my Athens hostel yesterday under threat of yet another
thunderstorm – this was the third in the three days – I asked the
cleaner if this was normal for Greece at this time of year. “No”, she
said. “Nothing is normal in Greece at the moment.”

*It is impossible to forecast events beyond hours, let alone days.*

Wednesday was a perfect example of that. While the Eurogroup and Greek
government met, rumours flew around that a deal would be reached if
prime minister Alexis Tsipras either cancelled Sunday’s referendum or
campaigned for a yes vote (yes to accept the demands of the Eurogroup
for more austerity). Some in his own ministry publicly and privately
urged him to do it.

The Communist Party (KKE) leadership – which has taken the
ultra-sectarian position of calling for abstention on Sunday –- along
with others, was quick to issue a denunciation.