[D66] A Theory of the Drone

J.N. jugg at ziggo.nl
Tue Feb 17 13:03:06 CET 2015

A Theory of the Drone
Purchase hardcover — $26.95
<https://www.thenewpress.com/shopping-cart?Product_Code1=9781595589750&Quantity1=1>
Available: December 2014
Hardcover
5 1/2 x 8 1/4 , 304 pages
ISBN: 978-1-59558-975-0
Also available as an e-book

      Share:

Twitter logo
<http://twitter.com/share?url=http%3A//thenewpress.com/books/theory-of-drone&text=A%20Theory%20of%20the%20Drone> Facebook
logo
<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A//thenewpress.com/books/theory-of-drone&t=A%20Theory%20of%20the%20Drone>
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/isbn/9781595589750>

      Grégoire Chamayou <http://thenewpress.com/authors/gregoire-chamayou>

<http://thenewpress.com/authors/gregoire-chamayou>

Grégoire Chamayou is a research scholar in philosophy at the Centre
National de la Recherche Scientifique in Paris. He is the author of /A
Theory of the Drone/(forthcoming from The New Press) and/Manhunts: A
Philosophical.../

<http://thenewpress.com/authors/gregoire-chamayou>
See more <http://thenewpress.com/authors/gregoire-chamayou>

    A Theory of the Drone

  * Grégoire Chamayou <http://thenewpress.com/authors/gregoire-chamayou>

Translated by Janet Lloyd

>From a leading philosopher, a new theory of how drone warfare is
transforming our world

“We are no longer fighting an enemy on the battlefield. We are hunting
him like a rabbit.”
—from /A Theory of the Drone/

Drone warfare has raised profound ethical and constitutional questions
both in the halls of Congress and among the U.S. public. Not since
debates over nuclear warfare has American military strategy been the
subject of discussion in living rooms, classrooms, and houses of
worship. Yet as this groundbreaking new work shows, the full
implications of drones have barely been addressed in the recent media storm.

In a unique take on a subject that has grabbed headlines and is
consuming billions of taxpayer dollars each year, philosopher Grégoire
Chamayou applies the lens of philosophy to our understanding of how
drones are changing our world. For the first time in history, a state
has claimed the right to wage war across a mobile battlefield that
potentially spans the globe. Remote-control flying weapons, he argues,
take us well beyond even George W. Bush’s justification for the war on
terror.

What we are seeing is a fundamental transformation of the laws of war
that have defined military conflict as between combatants. As more and
more drones are launched into battle, war now has the potential to
transform into a realm of secretive, targeted assassinations—beyond the
view and control not only of potential enemies but also of citizens of
the democracies themselves. Far more than a simple technology, Chamayou
shows, drones are profoundly influencing what it means for a democracy
to wage war. /A Theory of the Drone/ will be essential reading for all
who care about this important question.

      Topics:

  * Philosophy <http://thenewpress.com/books/topic/philosophy>
  * Current Affairs <http://thenewpress.com/books/topic/current-affairs>

    Praise

“In Chamayou’s razor-sharp telling, drones fundamentally transform the
psychic, moral, and physical space and art of killing. But it is his
theory of the drone that is even more chilling. It demands that we
consider the emergence of a new ethical and political norm of war that
is neither war as we know it—nor peace. The ‘principle of immunity for
the imperial combatant’ rests on a twisted logic: On the one hand is the
achieved capacity of the drone operative (one of many newly installed
masters of ‘lethal surveillance’) to move throughout a day between
killing fields and coffee breaks, between combat zones and home. On the
other hand is the enlisting of a citizenry to accept the ‘moral
obligation’ to kill. In this compelling analysis, Amnesty
International’s classing of drone strikes as war crimes would be only
part of the story. Chamayou’s critical point is that drones alter the
very terrain and logic of who deserves to die and implicates us all.”

            — Ann Stoler, Willy Brandt Distinguished University
            Professor of Anthropology, New School for Social Research

“Chamayou is brilliant. He jumps breezily from Freud and Camus to Marx
and Mao, from Israeli and ancient Athenian generals to Russian
researchers and Chinese strategists. If you stick with the wild ride,
you’ll find his arguments are breathtakingly profound and the
translation is superb. Chamayou is masterful at unmasking just how
ethically bankrupt and dangerous it is to kill people by remote control.”

            — Medea Benjamin, cofounder of CODEPINK and author of /Drone
            Warfare/

“A virtuoso performance: a wholly original, wide-ranging, and
provocative critique of targeted killing from remote platforms that
switches from the ‘big picture’ to the detailed view with consummate
skill and successfully calls into question many of the central claims
advanced by the proponents of later modern war.”

            — Derek Gregory, Peter Wall Distinguished Professor,
            University of British Columbia

    News and Reviews

    /The New York Times/

Read a review in the /The New York Times/' Sunday Book Review of /A
Theory of the Drone/.

See more
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/books/review/a-theory-of-the-drone-by-gregoire-chamayou.html?_r=0>