[D66] antibourgeois vagina-activisme

Oto jugg at ziggo.nl
Sat Aug 30 19:57:24 CEST 2014

http://www.artfido.com/blog/nsfw-performance-artist-reenacts-the-painting-the-origin-of-the-world/

According to Le Monde, the racy act took place on May 29 at the Musée
d’Orsay’s Room 20. De Robertis entered the room in a gold sequin dress
and proceeded to expose her own “L’Origine du monde” to a crowd of
unsuspecting security guards and applauding gallery goers. The artist
was eventually taken away by police and, as Artnet reports, the museum
and two of its guards subsequently filed sexual exhibitionism complaints
against the bold woman.

“This is a typical case of disrespecting the museum’s rules, whether for
a performance or not,” the Musée d’Orsay’s administration said in a
statement published in Artnet. “No request for authorization was filed
with us. And even if it had been, it’s not certain we would have
accepted it as that may have upset our visitors.”

De Robertis feels differently. “If you ignore the context, you could
construe this performance as an act of exhibitionism, but what I did was
not an impulsive act,” she explained to Luxemburger Wort. “There is a
gap in art history, the absent point of view of the object of the gaze.
In his realist painting, the painter shows the open legs, but the vagina
remains closed. He does not reveal the hole, that is to say, the eye. I
am not showing my vagina, but I am revealing what we do not see in the
painting, the eye of the vagina, the black hole, this concealed eye,
this chasm, which, beyond the flesh, refers to infinity, to the origin
of the origin.”