[D66] Inhuman Already? Zombies, Vampires, and the Accelerationist Moment

Nord protocosmos66 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 08:15:32 CEST 2013

http://itself.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/inhuman-already-zombies-vampires-and-the-accelerationist-moment/

My students, it seems to me, are inhuman, all-too-inhuman.  Beyond the
obvious rhetorical dangers of Prometheanism (and beyond the fact that
there really is nothing new here—the details of the accelerationist
program seem to dovetail quite nicely with a familiar Habermasian ideal
of communicative rationality with a sadistic-scientistic twist), my own
problem with an accelerationist politics, at least as stated in the
manifesto, have more to do with a substantive disagreement about the
real stakes and promise of a fully unleashed or “weaponized” scientific
outlook as the ground of a desirable future, particularly where that
outlook or “rationality” is grounded on the premise and promise of
“abductive experimentation” within given fields or structures amenable
to probabilistic reasoning (i.e. prediction in keeping with the law of
large numbers, whereby prediction becomes increasingly accurate if
samples are large enough).