[D66] Guarantees in politics

Antid Oto protocosmos66 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:48:30 CET 2012

Guarantees in politics
by Adam Kotsko

One question I had in the wake of Jodi Dean's lecture on communism was
why people thought that communism was uniquely dangerous, that it
carried unique risks. We know, for instance, that liberal democracy can
easily give way to dictatorship, even with the constitution being
formally in force. We know that liberal democracy is compatible with
chattel slavery and racial discrimination -- and indeed that the first
modern democratic republic ever established, the United States, spent
over half a century with a significant enslaved population and a further
century with a disenfranchised population subject to mob violence.
Liberal democracy is compatible with the equivalent of secret police,
with extra-legal assassinations, with undeclared wars of aggression,
with vast and increasing economic inequality, with mass unemployment and
homelessness, with child poverty and hunger, with a huge prison
population resulting from a racist approach to law enforcement, with
essential public functions being handed over to private individuals for
private gain, etc., etc., etc.

Yet essentially no one says, "No, we can't afford to try liberal
democracy because it will lead straight to chattel slavery!" or "I
admire the high ideals of democracy, but it always ends up with
able-bodied adults begging on the street!"

Adam Kotsko | Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 11:10 am | Categories:
politics | URL: http://wp.me/p2IRQ-2g7