[D66] Sociologists and the financial crisis - Against security

Antid Oto protocosmos66 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 09:20:19 CEST 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nbq5y

Sociologists and the financial crisis - Against security

Are the stringent checks at airports really for our benefit? 'Against
Security', a new book by the acclaimed American sociologist, Harvey
Molotch, explores the complex systems which are designed to make us feel
safe in public places. He tells Laurie Taylor why he thinks that
security measures in airports and subways, post 9.11, have damaged the
pleasure and dignity of our daily lives. They're joined by the design
critic, Stephen Bayley. Also, Sociology's failure to address the
financial crisis. The social scientist, Alberto Toscano's paper
'Reformism and Melancholia' argues that the twin spectres of Fordism and
Keynesianism have prevented sociologists from imagining a future beyond
austerity.