[D66] What Is a Philosopher?

Antid Oto protocosmos66 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 08:25:25 CEST 2012

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/what-is-a-philosopher/

THE STONE	 May 16, 2010, 5:00 PM 829 Comments
What Is a Philosopher?
By SIMON CRITCHLEY

There are as many definitions of philosophy as there are philosophers –
perhaps there are even more. After three millennia of philosophical
activity and disagreement, it is unlikely that we’ll reach consensus,
and I certainly don’t want to add more hot air to the volcanic cloud of
unknowing. What I’d like to do in the opening column in this new venture
— The Stone — is to kick things off by asking a slightly different
question: what is a philosopher?

As Alfred North Whitehead said, philosophy is a series of footnotes to
Plato. Let me risk adding a footnote by looking at Plato’s provocative
definition of the philosopher that appears in the middle of his
dialogue, “Theaetetus,” in a passage that some scholars consider a
“digression.” But far from being a footnote to a digression, I think
this moment in Plato tells us something hugely important about what a
philosopher is and what philosophy does.

..continued..

Simon Critchley is chair of philosophy at the New School for Social
Research in New York, and part-time professor at Tilburg University in
the Netherlands. He is the author of several books, including “The Book
of Dead Philosophers,” and is moderator of this series.