[D66] The Future that Was

Antid Oto protocosmos66 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 14:06:50 CET 2012

http://smartprojectspace.net/upcoming_exhibitions/gabriel.php
The Future that Was

by Gabriel Lester

Including: Thomas Bakker, Melanie Bonajo, Pedro Barateiro, Heman Chong,
Jonas Dahlberg, Mariana Castillo Deball, Koenraad Dedobbeleer, Gintaras
Didžiapetris, Thea Djordjadze, Zoro Feigl, Hella Jongerius, Surasi
Kusolwong, Runo Lagomarsino, Joris Lindhout, Goshka Macuga, Raimundas
Malašauskas, Jankovics Marcell, Girolamo Marri, Bojan Šarčević, Onco
Tattje, Bik van der Pol, Barbara Visser, Freek Wambacq

Exhibition until Sunday 30 December 2012

"Why do you find this particular one so difficult to name?" she asked.
"I think I've named too many," he replied, "It seems to me, I have run
out of names." They converse, without looking at each other, their eyes
affixed on their screens, fingers rapidly firing away letters on the
keyboard. "Wasn't there a technique you used to generate possible names
for these new elements?" she asked. "There is. And it still works pretty
well," he replied. "A new technique perhaps? It seems to me you're sick
of your own cleverness with this one," she said. "There isn't time to
develop a new technique. And even if I did, I'm sure it wouldn't be
good," he replied, eyes on his screen. "Revolutions take time, and you
have none. So what does one do in such a situation?" she asked. He
sighed, softly. He stopped typing, sat back and folded his arms. She
stopped typing, and stared at him. (Heman Chong)

The Statement exhibition The Future that Was relates to experiences of
time, which continue to fascinate the Dutch artist Gabriel Lester, and
to our ways of dealing with them when we try to arrive at a picture of
the past, present or future. What if everything simply continues to
repeat itself to infinity? Taking the form of cell structures, Lester
traverses the entire exhibition space with a prodigious scenographic
installation that brings together some twenty artists whose work
interplays between the idea of time as a linear concept and the starkly
contrasting idea of cyclical time, the notion of being as an eternal
recurrence. The Future that Wasseeks out the role that faith, fortune
and fate play in our experience of time and space; moreover, fate that
can be regarded in Nietzschean terms as Amor Fati - an embrace of what
is unavoidable, or translated literally, as "love of fate".

In order to address existence as we experience it in infinite time and
space, it is straightforward to begin with oneself and one’s personal
experience. We breathe in and out, our heart beats, blood flows through
our arteries, and our hair continues to grow. People live in this logic
and know nothing more than the repetition of this process until there is
a definitive end. But does anything ever absolutely come to an end?
Rather than ending, perhaps things enter a domain beyond our perception,
continuing to live, or appearing as a new form.

With this exhibition, SMART Project Space and the Netherlands Media Art
Institute introduce the new presentation institution New Art Space
Amsterdam (NASA).

*Both the title of the show and the last paragraph of this text are from
Heman Chong, and comprise his contribution to this exhibition.