[D66] What is an American “political party”?

Antid Oto protocosmos66 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:40:10 CET 2012

What is an American “political party”?
by Adam Kotsko

On this Election Day, I find myself puzzled as to what the American
political parties actually are. They clearly aren't classical
parliamentary parties. There's too much entrepreneurialism among
politicians (who can freely choose which party to identify with), and
strict party discipline is viewed as an unfortunate aberration by most
observers.

Nor are they coherent organs of any particular class or ideological
interest. Most vividly, the Democrats used to be the party of racist
Southerners and has in recent decades become the party of
African-Americans. Only in recent times have the two parties sorted out
neatly according to a left-right axis (so that every Republican is to
the right of every Democrat), but that has apparently been more by
default -- as the Republicans have become more hard-core right-wing, the
Democrats have absorbed everyone else, so that the incoherence of the
Democratic coalition is directly proportional to the coherence of the
Republicans.

Obviously the idiosyncracy of U.S. constitutional arrangements is a huge
factor here. Staggered elections and procedural quirks conspire to force
the parties to cooperate to get anything done, militating against
ideological coherence.

In a very real sense, we could say that this reflects the much-vaunted
"wisdom" of the Founders, who designed the republic with an eye toward
avoiding the dangers of factions. We really don't have "parties" like
those found in other parliamentary democracies -- their design was
successful!

But what we have instead is something even worse: two totally nihilistic
and opportunistic apparatuses that compete for power as such. The
"parties" don't seek power so that they can implement their programs or
serve their constituencies -- they advocate policies and court
constituencies so that they can gain power. (If we doubt this, we can
simply look to Mitt Romney's career trajectory.)

Adam Kotsko | Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 7:11 am | Categories:
politics | URL: http://wp.me/p2IRQ-2gE