[D66] staaltje: hoe krijg je het eigen straatje schoon

Henk Elegeert h.elegeert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 15:29:55 CET 2011

Ik eerder:

> Verhofstadt is kennelijk niet helemaal goed bij z'n hoofd?!?!
>
> Henk Elegeert ( ... om maar eens een knuppel in het hoenderhok... ) ;)

Press Release
You are here: Home <http://www.alde.eu/> »
Press<http://www.alde.eu/press/press-and-release-news/>
 » Press releases <http://www.alde.eu/press/press-and-release-news/>
Verhofstadt reaction to Sarkozy: "Intergovernmentalism is not the answer to
the crisis"Following two major speeches from both President Sarkozy and
Chancellor Merkel, the chances of a coherent European response to the
crisis next week still look slim.
02/12/2011

Following two major speeches from both President Sarkozy and Chancellor
Merkel, the chances of a coherent European response to the crisis next week
still look slim.

*Guy Verhofstadt, ALDE group leader *said:

"*Sarkozy's speech last night was clearly addressing his domestic
electorate for re-election as President of France and not as a champion of
European unity. His vision is a Gaullist one which has been superseded by
greater European integration. It is the intergovernmental Europe of nation
states all selfishly fighting their own corner that has brought us to where
we are now. The only way out of the crisis without destroying both the
Single Currency and the Single Market is to rally behind the Community
method based on solidarity and the common interest*."

"*European construction is based on commonly agreed rules, enforced by
independent authorities like the European Commission and Court of Justice.
Merkel and Sarkozy must not undo this fundamental principle in their quest
for an end to the crisis*."

"*The elements of a solution are already on the table. As Mario Draghi said
yesterday, it is basically just a question of sequencing. We need greater
fiscal discipline from all Member States of the eurozone along with a
commitment to solidarity which must include a common vision to reduce
public debt with some form of mutual guarantee.*

*We may need to entrench these principles via a Treaty update but measures
need to be taken now, not in several months time. Merkel and Sarkozy have
only a few days to sort out their differences or Europe risks being set
back 50 years*."