Greenhouse gas (carbon dioxide) is not beneficial to plants, as once thought

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Sat May 15 12:06:38 CEST 2010

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Hieronder de originele tekstbron, waarin het accent toch meer ligt op
het voorkomen van een nitraat-tekort, en daarbij verstoringen in
mineralen-evenwicht in grond te voorkomen.

Groet / Cees

http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=9479
In their most recent study, Bloom’s team examined the influence of
elevated carbon dioxide levels and, in some cases, low atmospheric
oxygen concentrations, on nitrate assimilation in wheat and Arabidopsis
plants using five different methods.

Data from all five methods confirm that elevated levels of carbon
dioxide inhibit nitrate assimilation in wheat and Arabidopsis plants.
The researchers note that this effect could explain why earlier studies
by other researchers have documented a 7.4-percent to 11-percent
decrease in wheat grain protein and a 20-percent decrease in total
Arabidopsis protein under elevated carbon dioxide levels.

“This indicates that as atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations rise
and nitrate assimilation in plant tissues diminishes, crops will become
depleted in organic nitrogen compounds, including protein, and food
quality will suffer,” Bloom said. “Increasing nitrogen fertilization
might compensate for slower nitrate assimilation rates, but this might
not be economically or environmentally feasible.”

He noted that farmers might be able to increase their use of
nitrogen-rich ammonium fertilizers to ease the bottleneck of nitrate
assimilation in crops but would have to carefully manage fertilizer
applications to avoid toxic accumulations of ammonium in the plants.

To develop solutions for dealing with the impact of major increases in
atmospheric carbon dioxide levels on crops, further research is needed
on how plants assimilate nitrate and ammonium, Bloom said.