Hail the Conquering Professor

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Thu Mar 25 10:08:25 CET 2010

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Aan het aantal 'stemmen' dat onderstaande 'comments' gekregen hebben,
kun je zien dat het echt leeft.

De rol van John McCain in dit geheel geeft aan hoe gemakkelijk het is in
de USA om een idioot op die stoel te krijgen. Geen verheffend gevoel, en
dezelfde 'clueless' als ten tijde van de bankencrisis!

Groet / Cees

March 24, 2010
Op-Ed Columnist
Hail the Conquering Professor
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/opinion/24dowd.html
By MAUREEN DOWD

WASHINGTON

The Democrats were walking around in a state of shock.

Holy cow, they were saying to themselves. We’re not total wimps! We
don’t have to sit around and let ourselves be slapped silly by
Republican bullies and Tea Party scaremongers. We can actually get
something done if we suck it up and find a way to pull together.

One minute they were legislative losers, squabbling and scrambling for
the off-ramps. The next they were history-makers, sharing chest bumps
and goose bumps at the White House. How had the lofty president and the
wily speaker suddenly steered them off Jimmy Carter Highway and onto
F.D.R. Drive?

One gleeful and relieved White House aide called the bill-signing
ceremony in the East Room, packed with Democratic lawmakers snapping
pictures and acting like obstreperous children, “an Old Spice moment.”

“You could see it in their faces,” he said. “It was kind of like that
Old Spice ad where the guy smacked himself on the cheeks and said, ‘Wow,
that feels good!’ It was like they smacked themselves on the cheeks and
said, ‘You are a member of Congress and now you can start doing things.
Wow, that feels good!’ ”

David Axelrod agreed: “It was incredibly moving to be in that room
today. This was such an emotional high that I actually saw congressmen
hugging senators. People are so used to low expectations around here
that the idea that you could do something big and meaningful is
exhilarating.”

The Democrats held hands, held their breath and jumped over the cliff —
not that it was a radical bill. And, mirabile dictu, nothing awful
happened. The markets went up. The polls went up. Their confidence went up.

John McCain threatened Democrats, telling an Arizona radio affiliate
that “there will be no cooperation for the rest of the year” from
Republicans. So much for “Country First.” (He’s so clueless that he came
on the Senate floor and said, “Let’s stop this legislation, and let’s
start from the beginning.”)

But David Frum, the former W. speechwriter, conceded that in trying to
turn health care into Obama’s Waterloo — a replay of the Clintons’
disaster in 1994 — Republicans may have made it their own Waterloo.

“We followed the most radical voices in the party and the movement, and
they led us to abject and irreversible defeat,” Frum wrote on his blog,
adding: “Conservative talkers on Fox and talk radio had whipped the
Republican voting base into such a frenzy that deal-making was rendered
impossible. How do you negotiate with somebody who wants to murder your
grandmother?”

Some base members of the Republican base showed themselves as the racist
Neanderthals they are.

Protesters outside the Capitol on Saturday called two black congressmen,
the civil rights hero John Lewis of Georgia and Andre Carson of Indiana,
a racial epithet as they walked by. Another, Representative Emanuel
Cleaver of Missouri, was called that epithet and got spit on. Barney
Frank of Massachusetts was called an anti-gay slur. The anti-abortion
Democrat Bart Stupak was called a “baby killer” by Texas Republican
Representative Randy Neugebauer, who says he’s had a “tremendous
outpouring” of support for his outburst.

It was disgusting. And for the Democrats who had battled each other
through every twist and turn of health care, it was unifying.

Senator Al Franken, who had blown up at Axelrod after Obama held a
televised session with Senate Democrats in February, arguing that the
president wasn’t fighting hard enough or strategizing well enough, sent
Axelrod a congratulatory note after the bill passed.

“You’re welcome,” Franken wrote. He added an asterisk: “Joke. I used to
be in comedy.”

Only a week ago, Fred Hiatt, The Washington Post’s editorial page
editor, had written that Obama did not seem happy in his job, that he
projected “weariness and duty” instead of the “jauntiness” of F.D.R. and
J.F.K.

But Tuesday, the president was joyous, and that infectious smile so
sparsely offered over the last two years lit up the East Room. Many
Democratic lawmakers and Obama supporters were frustrated at the
president’s failure to show more spine earlier. As Representative Louise
Slaughter told The Times in February, “I wouldn’t mind seeing a little
more toughness here or there.”

Until now, Obama has gotten irritated at those who cast Washington
affairs in Manichean terms of strength or weakness and red or blue. He
wanted to reason, to compromise, to float in his ivory tower.

But at long last, when push came to shove, he shoved (and let Nancy
push). He treated politics not as an intellectual exercise, but a
political one. He realized that sometimes you can’t rise above it. You
have to sink down into it. You have to stop being cerebral and get your
hands dirty. You can fight fear with power.

The Chicago pol in the Oval has had to learn one of the great American
truths: You’ve got to slap the bully in the face. He’s a
consensus-building “warrior,” Axelrod boasted to Charlie Rose.

The president, who has been reading Edmund Morris’s “The Rise of
Theodore Roosevelt,” has always spoken with a soft voice. Now he’s
wielded the big stick.

Hail the Conquering Professor - Readers Comments
Health care reform, otherwise known as President Obama’s Waterloo, turns
into “Yes we did!”

11. akhilleus Bowling Green, KY March 24th, 2010 8:09 am
He had better keep that big stick handy because the troglodytes are out
for blood now that their racist slurs, misdirection tactics, and
outright lies to the American people didn't succeed has they have for years.

The sight of John Boehner screaming into the microphone and Mitch
McConnell, today, promising dire consequences because Democrats dared to
cross them, and help deserving middle class and poor Americans was
indeed cathartic. They will keep braying about the costs involved, and
as many comments have pointed out over the last few days, when did
anyone ever hear McConnell, or Boehner, or any of the usual suspects
EVER question GWB about the untold billions he flushed down Iraqi
sinkholes, or the billions more funneled into the pockets of FOR
(Friends of the Right-wing) war profiteers?

The larger lesson for President Obama and the Democrats is that they
don't have the luxury of waiting for the spoiled brats on the other side
of the aisle to grow up. Electoral pandemonium may well await them in
November: remember, Fox Never Sleeps when it comes to spreading the
foulest lies about anyone they consider a threat to Republican
dominance, and their Hackocracy will be working overtime to sully the
reputation of anyone who crossed their plans for destroying the first
black president by voting for this bill.

Democrats can take a few days to revel in this well-deserved and
historic passage. Then it's back to work.

Next up: finance reform. And if you thought the children on the right
were apoplectic about health care reform (that was only about the money
belonging to their insurance overlords), wait until you see the
foot-stomping and tantrums they throw when it comes to their own money,
and that of their billionaire buddies. They won't like being told they
can't make themselves rich anymore by gambling with money that's not theirs.

Keep that big stick handy, Mr. President. You're going to need it.
  Recommend  Recommended by 1106 Readers

16. mlc Whidbey Island, Washington March 24th, 2010 8:10 am
The most wonderful piece of all that happened yesterday was knowing that
we have a president who has integrity and drive and did not all the
ugliness keep him from what he had set out to do. The last few days have
been like watching a grand and unstoppable force for good move slowly
forward through a swamp. He said he would do it. He did it. We can trust
this man.

And all the Democrats who stood with him deserve credit as well. Those
who jumped ship to stand with the tantrum throwing Republicans have shot
themselves in the foot and stand to lose much in November as do the
Republicans. The Republicans have, I believe, misread the country (led
by the insanity of the teaparty) and let themselves believe that we are
all out here ranting and foaming. We are not. We are quiet, thoughtful
and intelligent millions who look for integrity and good choices for
all. I repeat, good choices for all.

America has its share of redneck rubes who would spit on good people,
just as they did 40 years ago during the Civil Rights fight, but America
has a bigger share of good people who abhor such behavior. We may not be
as loud and our faces are not screwed in righteous indignation and hate,
but we are here. And we vote. Thank you to every man and woman who cast
their votes, honorably, with our president.
  Recommend  Recommended by 1035 Readers

7. KT NYC March 24th, 2010 8:05 am
Obama was always ready to wield the big stick. He was merely biding his
time. He thinks long, not in the 24-hour news cycle. I'm sure that there
was some consternation in the White House -- to say the least -- when
Ted Kennedy's seat was lost -- but to President Obama this merely meant
rethinking the strategy, not giving up. The man is cool. I remain in
awe. It's actually becoming entertaining to watch his opponents walk
into all of his traps; that glint in his eye means "I gotcha."

Moreover, the Republicans are nuts if they think that this vote will
help them in November. My personal view is that they have sunk their own
boat. They look bad, they acted badly (really revoltingly badly in the
past few days), and they lost. Now they are threatening to gum up the
works, just as Americans are realizing that health care reform means
more, not fewer, benefits and rewards.

I'm willing to bet money that the Democrats will do very well in
November. Obama looks really good right now, whereas the opposition
looks like -- Rush Limbaugh.
  Recommend  Recommended by 939 Readers

1. Marie Burns Fort Myers, Florida March 24th, 2010 8:03 am
The cheery President & the Congress could get a heck of a lot more good
done for this country if they would face up to one reality: in both
houses there is barely a Democratic majority.

Those holdouts in the House against the health bill are Democrats in
name only -- they come from Republican districts & they vote like
Republicans on most issues. As for the Senate, anybody who thinks
Blanche Lincoln & Ben Nelson are actually Democrats has never seen a
Democratic party platform. And Lieberman! Well. So in the Senate, there
is nowhere close to a supermajority of bona fide Democrats, but -- as in
the House -- there is probably a slight majority.

Ergo, if Democrats want to get anything done between now & 2012 besides
passing resolutions in favor of Women's History Month (3 House
Republicans voted against THAT radical idea!), they have two choices (a)
convince the Senate parliamentarian that every bill & amendment meets
the Byrd rule; or (b) start rethinking the filibuster.

In the meantime, yesterday was one day I was particularly proud to be a
real Democrat. And I totally agree with Joe Biden. Every word he said.

The Constant Weader at www.RealityChex.com
  Recommend  Recommended by 705 Readers

37. Gemli Boston March 24th, 2010 9:53 am
It's good to read something positive about all that has happened, but I
am not sure it is time to celebrate just yet. Something is very wrong.

All pretense of civility has been lost. Conservatives are escalating
their offensive strategy, at first taking their cues from the rabble,
and now egging them on and leading the attacks. They have allied
themselves with an army of the ignorant and the stupid, and are probably
as surprised as anyone at how easy it is to get them to work against
their own self interests.

Conservatives cannot stand the position they are in. Once schoolyard
bullies, they are now reporting to a nerd, and a nerd of color at that.
They have no skill at building or creating, so they use their only real
talents, which are to obstruct, taunt, undermine, and destroy.

Boehner's frothing anger at the passage of the health care bill is a
case in point. The anger did not come from his deep desire to help the
poor and the sick, but from his fury that insurance companies had been
reigned in, even slightly.

Conservatives want to turn this country into something else. I don't
know what, because I can't fathom their feverish desires. I only know
there won't be any place in it for me.

I think I'll wait a bit before I open the Champagne.
  Recommend  Recommended by 620 Readers

14. Lila Arlington, TX March 24th, 2010 8:10 am
I understand the President's intense desire for civility. However, the
current environment in Washington often calls for Nancy Pelosi type
tactics. I was very impressed with Mrs. Pelosi and the way she wielded
her power. There is nothing wrong with compromise, but that will only
get the President so far with Republicans.
  Recommend  Recommended by 546 Readers

15. phil2 San Diego March 24th, 2010 8:10 am
Wonderful column.

President Obama made me proud of this country again. But the Republicans
seem destined to destroy this country with all of their crazy comments.
Where are the real truth squads - and the media - pointing out their
absurd lies? I just hope the populace shows common sense.
  Recommend  Recommended by 534 Readers

10. R. Law Texas March 24th, 2010 8:09 am
Mo - Watching what the tea baggers did, I wished for your Father to
still be part of the Capitol Hill force !

We are most fortunate to have the man in the office we have, just like
we were fortunate a sudden thunderstorm appeared as the Brits tried to
burn DC in the War of 1812.

This President has had to walk the fine line of not appearing too angry,
yet being as outraged as the voters are - make the point that he had
bent over backwards to accomodate the Senate before he left them in the
dust.

The point is made, and the legislation was passed out of all committees
and both Houses into law with exactly one (1) GOP vote - the GOP will
rue the day.
  Recommend  Recommended by 441 Readers

5. Lew Fournier Toronto, Ontario March 24th, 2010 8:04 am
I knew that if I lived long enough I would see the word Manichean used.
Anyhow, what the Democrats passed isn't much, but it is a start and is a
tribute to those who ignored the fear-mongering of far-right extremists
such as Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, who probably has not yet stopped
weeping.
In a future column, you might want to explain the difference between
Marxist, Maoist, fascist and Nazi. The regular Times reader knows the
difference, but the average employee of FreedomWorks, toiling away in a
windowless boilerroom ready to pounce on any pro-health care reform
post, probably does not.
  Recommend  Recommended by 421 Readers

18. Beth Anderson Chicago, IL March 24th, 2010 9:16 am
Here's what I can't understand, Maureen. How can these Republicans
continue their atrocious behavior without missing a beat no matter how
the media, as well as everybody else, does call them out, especially
recently? I've never seen such a cold-blooded gang of bullies. How can
they continue their lies and never appear to have even an ounce of shame
or embarrassment, and in fact, they don't even appear to hear it when
they are called on on their shameful behavior; they just roll on over
it. Are they truly that oblivious? How on earth can they live with
themselves?
  Recommend  Recommended by 380 Readers

75. Jumper South Carolina March 24th, 2010 11:33 am
I was most impressed that President Obama issued the Executive Order to
end the Stupak impasse. I don't know the details of how that came about
but most men who rise to as high a level as President Obama would not
have taken that step for fear it showed weakness.

Instead it showed strength in his determination to get the job done. He
forsook vanity and even shared some lime light to get the job done for
all of us, and perhaps, even for the memory of his mother.

"The Audacity of Hope," shows examples of where President Obama has been
in this type political situation before and he reacted the same as he
did this time. It's why I was convinced this man has political steel in
his spine.

In those past situations, he'd take an action and constituents would be
upset that he wasn't pure to all their principles. True, but he'd helped
them with two thirds of what they wanted and then he broadened his base
to the extent necessary to accomplish the next higher goal building
better from goal to goal.

President Obama is a pragmatic politician. He gives hope to our better
nature. People sense this. Americans admire those with courage, who take
action, who can be civil in tumultuous situations and who accomplish
good for those of us who work for a living, which is most of us.

Have we changed the moral character of this nation or have we simply
reclaimed it? Hard to tell but at least we're on a path to thinking of
the United States more collectively rather than hyper-individually. As
more people find out how this bill helps them, they will be more willing
to listen a little longer and trust President Obama's better nature on
our behalf a little more even if they don't have all the issues
completely sorted out.

As with many Americans, I'm proud to have stood with him through this
and I'm proud that enough fellow Democrats stood with President Obama to
get this done. Feels good working together for something good. Reminds
me of sitting astride a horse atop a hill at daybreak near the northern
Rockies as a youngster and watching the first shafts of brilliant yellow
sunlight flash against the snow-capped mountain peaks. Then the golden
yellow would steadily sweep over the dark on the rest of the mountain.
Filled me with awe, wonder and hope.
  Recommend  Recommended by 353 Readers

4. John Siegel Portland, OR March 24th, 2010 8:04 am
Maureen, as I was reading this, I happened to be listening to the
Crosby, Stills and Nash song "Almost Cut My Hair," and the progression
of the song, at a rather loud volume, and your account of the day's
activities gave me goose pimples. The President didn't cut his hair, but
instead let his freak flag fly and pushed the dems over the line. Lets
hope it is just the beginning for America.
  Recommend  Recommended by 329 Readers

153. Hank West Caldwell, New Jersey March 24th, 2010 1:19 pm
Obama is a master strategist. Few people seem to look upon Obama as a
master strategist in the way he took 15 months to get health care reform
enacted. They see him as a 14 month wimp too uncertain of himself to
enter the battle.

What was his strategy? He stayed in very low profile. He knew how
contentious a battle the reform would cause. He stayed out of the fight.
He waited and waited. He saved his bully pulpit power until the very end.

Meanwhile, Obama the master strategist stayed very low profile with just
an occasional guiding comment and presence to let the country know he
was still there. During the 14 months, he allowed all the conflicted
arguments to be put on the table; all the negotiating to be put on the
table; all the anger to be put on the table; all the new ideas to be put
on the table. He let the process exhaust itself. Then he stepped into
the battlefield; in the 15th month he knew all there was to know; he
summarized the final victory strategy based on the situation on the
ground. He seized leadership, and got the job done.

To have done otherwise would have been a presidential disaster. He would
have been attacked from every-side including the centrists. He would
have become a beaten up as a naive first term president. If he got
angry, he would have become permanently labeled as an angry black man.
If he took a strong position on any issue, and had to back off, he would
have been perceived as a loser, and momentum destroyed.

Master strategist. Obama. Don't underestimate his brilliant political
skills.
  Recommend  Recommended by 284 Readers

24. Jon Jost Seoul, Korea March 24th, 2010 9:18 am
John McCain: “there will be no cooperation for the rest of the year”
from Republicans.

I'd guess Obama has learned his lesson, and hopefully we'll see a far
more assertive President and his Party. There's lots to be done, and
while the Republicans will send out their vulgar shock troops to shock
us all with the reality of their "base," their numbers will shrivel.
Next for them to defend is Wall Street, which I am sure most of the
public fully supports, just like they were against health reform....

Hopefully the health insurance companies will now behave so despicably
that the reform will be reformed to include a public option.

www.jonjost.wordpress.com
www.cinemaelectronica.wordpress.com
  Recommend  Recommended by 258 Readers

29. Gondoliere Venice, Italy March 24th, 2010 9:20 am
"Some base members of the Republican base showed themselves as the
racist Neanderthals they are." Puleeze Ms Dowd, that's an insult to
Neanderthals everywhere.
  Recommend  Recommended by 240 Readers

17. David Engel San Diego, CA March 24th, 2010 8:10 am
I hope the Ds can build upon this and enact a strong energy bill. The
House should have less trouble since abortion isn't normally part of
discussions about energy policy. The Senate on the other hand seems
prone to trip over their own shoelaces even when they are seated. Let's
hope Harry Reid keeps it as far from Max Baucus' hands as possible, and
that the Ds don't do a repeat of "seeking bipartisan" support from the
Neanderthal's that call themselves Republicans.
  Recommend  Recommended by 234 Readers

26. Bob Edmonton, Canada March 24th, 2010 9:19 am
As a Canadian, I couldn't be happier. I have hated disliking the USA.
Now I get the feeling that you might be back on board the civilization
bandwagon. YAY!
  Recommend  Recommended by 230 Readers

28. MCF Piermont, NY March 24th, 2010 9:20 am
I am so proud of Obama, and feel that somehow this traumatic passage
will be a defining event which, far from weakening him and the Dems,
will actually make them stronger and more confident -- thus better at
governing this crazy, idiot-savant nation of ours.

MoDo is right: when you slap a bully, he runs away crying. That is what
the GOP has largely resorted to. For all their lies, their
scaremongering, their hysterical threats, they will be seen to be
nothing but hot air, full of empty, noxious nothingness.

They need to start standing FOR something -- and fast. Or risk a long,
long season in the wilderness.
  Recommend  Recommended by 225 Readers

13. Owais Q. Pinole, CA March 24th, 2010 8:10 am
"You can fight fear with power" Thank you!
  Recommend  Recommended by 219 Readers

20. KC Okla March 24th, 2010 9:17 am
Many, many congrats for all the Democrats who stood up for something
they believed in. I can only hope that, contrary to what the Republicans
are now saying about being voted out in November, the President has
maybe woke up the masses of us out here in this country who can now see
a reason to get out to vote.
Finally one for the little guy!
  Recommend  Recommended by 217 Readers

36. Robin New Mexico March 24th, 2010 9:53 am
As a single mom and freelancer who has to pay for her own insurance
premiums but doesn't have the money for the copays and coinsurance fees,
I want to say a sincere thank you to the House Democrats and President
Obama. (In other words, I'm still paying for my own insurance as
insurance against losing my home. In other words, I didn't drop it
because it's too far to fall.) At least when I need to switch insurance
coverage after the COBRA insurance ends, this bill could ensure that
they can't turn me down.

And shame on the Republicans who won't cooperate because they see this
as a political, rather than a human drama. If you believe in the
trickle-down theory at all anymore, then they should support this bill
wholeheartedly. After all, fewer middle-class Americans going bankrupt
due to overwhelming medical bills due to cancer or another catastrophic
illness means more property taxes paid and greater spending overall on
something other than health care.

President Obama has always stated what so many politicians on both sides
have forgotten, that this is a human, not a political, drama that
deserves this nation's attention.
  Recommend  Recommended by 210 Readers

27. timsored NYC March 24th, 2010 9:19 am
This is the President we have been waiting for. People are so quick to
lose faith.
When has the political climate been so polarized? I can remember the
shouting and name calling during the Viet Nam war. During the Civil
Rights movement. But the nation has moved ahead. It's not easy.

One has some idea now what the phrase, 'a strong leader,' actually
means. It's not easy.

Unfortunately the only thing I see that the Republicans may take credit
for is this Kindergarten, name calling, lying nonsense. To say the least
it is damn discouraging.

Obama is learning how to fight this first term. It is a skill he will
never regret.
  Recommend  Recommended by 205 Readers

126. Shaw N. Gynan Bellingham, Washington March 24th, 2010 1:09 pm
I never miss Maureen Dowd's column. Maureen always skates along the edge
and is an effective writer, but when one is edgy, one can end up not
being entirely accurate.

You're making it look like Obama was being weak. He wasn't. He has
always stated that he believes in the democratic process. He stepped in
at the end when it was appropriate, after having let the political
process play out.

It was risky, because he arguably let loose the right-wing lunatic
fringe. I think, frankly, that President Obama was giving the
Republicans as much rope as they wanted, and they hung themselves! Again
and again the Republicans are showing themselves for who they are. Their
obstructionist tactics work in the short term, and all I can say is
thank God that President Obama's faith in the process was vindicated.

President's big stick has been his restraint, his trust in our system.
It has been ugly. The Republicans have resorted to vile racism, to hate-
and fear-mongering, but President Obama stuck by his belief that the
country is better than those baser instincts.

To end, take note of Jesse Jackson's compassionate approach to his
political enemies. He asks for understanding of people who have been
manipulated and are afraid. His and President Obama's are the voices of
reason. There is still reason for hope!!
  Recommend  Recommended by 197 Readers