Do You 'Miss Me Yet'?

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Tue Mar 9 07:45:57 CET 2010

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Times are changing?
2+ oorlogen starten óf 'nog geen deuk in een pakje boter'?

Groet / Cees

Do You 'Miss Me Yet'?
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/do-you-miss-him-yet/
I know you’re not supposed to, but I just love to say I told you so.

What I told you back on Sept. 28, 2008
(http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/george-bush-the-comeback-kid/),
was that within a year of the day he left office George W. Bush would
come to be regarded with affection and a little nostalgia. The responses
(over 300 before the comments were closed) to that prediction were
overwhelmingly negative; even the very few who agreed with me attributed
what they took to be a sad fact to the stupidity of the American people.
The other 290 or so said things like “No way”; “Are you kidding?”; ”Are
you mad?”;“What a ridiculous and insulting premise!”; “I’ll miss him
like a rash”; “This must be a satire”; “Bush is a sociopath”; “George
Bush has destroyed this country”; “History won’t forgive him”; and (a
popular favorite) “I hate the man.”

Well it’s a bit more than a year now and signs of Bush’s rehabilitation
are beginning to pop up. One is literally a sign, a billboard that
appeared recently on I-35 in Minnesota. Occupying the right side (from
the viewer’s viewpoint) is a picture of Bush smiling genially and waving
his hand in a friendly gesture. Occupying the left side is a simple and
direct question: “Miss me yet?” The image is all over the Internet,
hundreds of millions of hits, and unscientific Web-based polls indicate
that more do miss him than don’t.

A perhaps more substantial sign incorporates a sign famous (or infamous)
in the Bush presidency. The March 8 cover of Newsweek reproduces the
famous 2003 photograph of Bush on the flight deck of the U.S.S. Lincoln.
The president is in the left of the picture, striding away from the
famous banner proclaiming “Mission Accomplished.”

Those words haunted Bush for the next five years, but now, Newsweek
reports, they may play differently because — and this is emblazoned on
the cover — we may have “Victory At Last.” It has to be said, declare
the cover-story’s writers, that “now almost seven hellish years later .
. . something that looks mighty like democracy is emerging in Iraq”;
and, they add (eerily echoing Bush’s words in 2003), this development
“most certainly is a watershed event that could come to represent a
whole new era in the history of the massively undemocratic Middle East.”

Of course, one might disagree with that assessment, but the fact that it
is made in the lead article of a major mainstream magazine tells its own
story. It is a story that intersects with another, the story of the
precipitous decline in Barack Obama’s support and of a growing
suspicion, found on the left as well as on the right, where it is much
more than a suspicion, that the politics of change may have been a
slogan with less promise in its future than “Mission Accomplished.” (The
imminent passage of a health care bill keeps being predicted, but so far
no “victory at last.”)

Analyses of how this has happened are plentiful and varied, but most
agree that it had something to do with the summer of 2009, when the town
meetings that seemed a good, nicely democratic idea in the spring turned
into a recruiting device for the angry crowds that would become the Tea
Party.

At the same time, Bush profited from the fact that he kept a low profile
and didn’t snipe at his successor, a task left to his vice president,
who therefore took upon himself the enmity and scorn previously directed
at his former boss. Dick Cheney was, in effect, a lightning rod, and he
was joined in that function by Sarah Palin, who slid neatly into the
slot Bush had occupied in the mind of all good liberals for eight long
years. Hatred and contempt of Palin is now the favorite pastime of those
who have abandoned the cowboy from Texas and transferred their obsessive
animus to the belle of Alaska (who, I say again, is more formidable than
many in both parties believe.)

Meanwhile, Bush’s policies came to seem less obviously reprehensible as
the Obama administration drifted into embracing watered-down versions of
many of them. Guantanamo hasn’t been closed. No Child Left Behind is
being revised and perhaps improved, but not repealed. The banks are
still engaging in their bad practices. Partisanship is worse than ever.
Obama seems about to back away from the decision to try 9/11 defendants
in civilian courts, a prospect that led the ACLU to run an ad in
Sunday’s Times with the subheading “Change or more of the same?” Above
that question is a series of photographs that shows Obama morphing into
guess who — yes, that’s right, George W. Bush.

And now, right on schedule, Bush has resurfaced (just as I imagined him
doing a year ago last September ) to join Bill Clinton in a humanitarian
relief effort. He is officially a member in good standing of the
ex-presidents club, and the longer he lives the more his reputation will
be burnished. To be sure, his post-presidency resume is still thin, but
we can expect it to be beefed up by good deeds, ceremonial appearances
and the activities that will surround the building and opening of his
library at Southern Methodist University. We’ll see Bush the tour guide
and Bush the patron of historical scholarship and, perhaps, even Bush
the seminar leader.

And the judgment of history? Well, I’m not that foolish, but I will
venture to say that it will be more nuanced than anything the
professional Bush-haters — indistinguishable in temperament from the
professional Obama-haters — are now able to imagine. He will not go to
the top of the list, but neither will he be the figure of fun and
derision he seemed destined to be only a year ago. You heard it here.