Goldman Sachs & BP

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Mon Jun 7 14:31:52 CEST 2010

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Interessant dat 1e commentaar ;)

Groet / Cees

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/goldman-reported-readying-bp-for-takeover-defense-2010-06-06
June 6, 2010, 1:27 p.m. EDT
Goldman Sachs is rumored to be preparing to fend off any potential
takeover attempts for the U.K. oil major, reports the Independent on Sunday.

"BP's regular adviser, Goldman Sachs, is rumored to be dusting off the
company's defense playbook," the paper says.

The Independent says a Western major company takeover attempt is
"far-fetched" and an immediate takeover attempt in general is unlikely.

The paper says technical experts from "oft-speculated potential buyers
ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell and Chevron" are instead in Houston this
weekend to help BP control the Gulf Of Mexico oil spill.

TraderGordo  17 hours ago
"London Bureau" - learn the difference between a silly rumor started BY
Goldman, vs. the truth. They are trying to sieze on a golden opportunity
to make billions of dollars while taking no risk, by engineering a
takover. They start silly rumors like this to spark bidding wars. They
will make big money on fees if they can scratch together the deal.
Personally I think BP is a good buy at current price. Most have put the
total liability from the spill at $4 billion, lets just do some crazy
talk and say it ends up being 10 times that. They won't be responsible
for 100% because there are several companies with ownership stakes in
this disaster, I would say even in this fantasy max liability might be
20 billion, which incidently, is how much they made in profit last year!
Oh, and their market cap has fallen by about $80 billion since BP peaked
on April 26 (along with the S&P500).

ba=non 15 hours ago
It is true that the oil industry has a dismal record on damages on large
spills. BP's GOM spill may redefine such cavilier treatment of the victims.
BP is going to lose credibility and opportunity over this fiasco.

in.incognito  10 hours ago
This is about peak oil. Peak oil is expected to hit around 2012-2015,
and it gets even closer if congress bans offshore drilling, which
supplies a huge amount of oil to the US market. The Texas oilmen are
getting rid of BP, which has 40% of the US market, and bringing that
portion home.

AmericanMade  16 hours ago
For those that are interested. . Royal Dutch Shell has just started
shipping refined gasoline to Iran ahead of the proposed UN sanctions. ..
And Iran has announed that it has a timeline to stop gasoline subsidizes
to it's people which amount to a current price of $0.11 per liter.
Economists expect inflation in Iran once they start paying regular
"free" market price. I wonder how will Citgo/Chavez follow this lead as
they too are subsidizing internal gasoline sales to its people. I do not
know the price though.
Sorry bout the sidebar topic but there's not a lot of meat to this
article as it is.