Revenge on Times Square

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Fri Jan 22 23:31:56 CET 2010

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Het script voor een film ;)

Groet / Cees

  January 22, 2010, 1:04 am
Oracle President Admits Affair After Billboards Appear
By ANAHAD O'CONNOR

Update | 9:20 a.m. Adding credit to Gawker and the apparent motivation
for the creation of the billboards.
Update | 10:58 a.m. Correcting Charles Phillips’s title.

Over the course of several days this week, a series of mysterious
billboards popped up in New York and other cities showing romantic
photographs of the co-president of Oracle with a woman.

On one of the billboards that appeared in New York on Times Square, the
words “Charles & YaVaughnie” were posted along with “You are my soulmate
forever!” The note was signed “cep,” referring apparently to Charles E.
Phillips Jr., the Oracle co-president.

Last night, Mr. Phillips offered something of an explanation: he was
having an affair, which he said had since ended. The woman in the
photographs is not his wife, Karen, but his former mistress, YaVaughnie
Wilkins, and he acknowledged a long-term relationship with her.

“I had an 8½ year serious relationship with YaVaughnie Wilkins,” Mr.
Phillips said in a statement on Thursday. “My divorce proceedings began
in 2008. The relationship with Ms. Wilkins has since ended and we both
wish each other well.”

The billboards are apparently an attempt by Ms. Wilkins to embarrass Mr.
Phillips. Ms. Wilkins could not immediately be reached for comment last
night.

Throughout the week, the unexplained emergence of the billboards in New
York, San Francisco and Atlanta, first reported by Gawker, had led to
speculation on media and financial blogs that Mr. Phillips was gloating
about a newfound love or perhaps preparing to propose to a girlfriend.
The billboard also contained the address of a Web site with a catalog of
hundreds of photos of the couple dating back to 2001. The site’s
designer told Gawker that he had built the site for Ms. Wilkins.

Mr. Phillips joined Oracle in 2003, and is the company’s co-president
and a member of the board of directors. He is also on the boards of
numerous high-profile organizations, including the American Museum of
Natural History, Viacom, and his former company, Morgan Stanley.

Oracle is in the process of a $7.4 billion takeover of Sun Microsystems,
a deal that cleared the European Commission on Thursday.

In an Oracle newsletter from 2006, Mr. Phillips is described as an
ex-marine and “family man” who has a wife and 10-year-old son, Chas.