Fwd: Justice Dept. fails to deliver justice at Guantanamo

Henk Elegeert hmje at HOME.NL
Fri Jan 22 22:17:09 CET 2010

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Luitjes ....,

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Amnesty International USA <alerts at takeaction.amnestyusa.org>
Date: 2010/1/22
Subject: Justice Dept. fails to deliver justice at Guantanamo

While you were sleeping, a Justice Department task force recommended
that President Obama ignore civil liberties and human rights at
Guantanamo. Fire back online with your own recommendations for a new
kind of task force that respects human rights!

L.S.,

Late last night - on the eve of the date President Obama promised to
restore justice to a busted Guantanamo detention system - a Justice
Department-led task force released its outrageous recommendation to
continue holding nearly 50 Guantanamo detainees indefinitely.1 We're
stunned that the Department of Justice would act in such flagrant and
direct violation of civil liberties, human rights, and a Supreme Court
ruling in 2008 that confirmed Guantanamo detainees' rights to habeas
corpus.2

However it's also the clearest proof we've seen yet that in order to
truly resolve the heinous policies and practices taking place at
Guantanamo, we're going to need to look to outside sources to
challenge the status quo. Holding people without charge, trial or
clear process for reviewing their case is unacceptable.

The White House and Congress must intervene and establish a new kind
of task force - a commission of independent, bipartisan experts to
examine, report, and come to their own informed conclusions about the
policies and actions related to the detention, treatment, and transfer
of Guantanamo detainees.
We've got to fight fire with fire - only an independent, bipartisan
commission can help untangle the human rights mess created at
Guantanamo.

Call on the White House and Congress to establish a new kind of
independent, bipartisan task force to take a deeper look at the flawed
policies at Guantanamo.

Today of all days, we expected to be filled with hope about the
progress made toward restoring our fundamental liberties and freedoms.
Instead we're faced with the grim reality that the infamous detention
center, and the injustice it represents, is not going away any time
soon.

That's exactly why today of all days, we need you to stand with us and
let the Administration know that you stand firmly in your belief that
Guantanamo must be closed in a manner that respects human rights.

The Justice Department may have tried to release this story under the
radar, but there are a few important things you can do today to ensure
that everyone is talking about Guantanamo:

Email President Obama and your members of Congress urging them to
establish an independent, bipartisan commission to review Guantanamo
policies
Even if you've done so already, please tweet about Guantanamo using
the hashtag #closegitmo. Or simply follow us on Twitter and re-tweet
our messages.
Change your profile picture on Facebook, MySpace or other social
networks to our Close Gitmo solidarity image or add the image to your
blog or website.

On Monday, we'll need your help again to flood the White House phone
lines with calls on this issue. We'll be in touch with step-by-step
details on how you can ensure this story is not buried and forgotten
over the weekend!

Thanks for your continued commitment,

Njambi Good
Director, Counter Terror with Justice Campaign

(1) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/21/AR2010012104936.html?hpid=topnews
(2) http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1814253,00.html

If you have a question or comment, please use our interactive online
help system. Subscribe to our RSS feeds.

© Copyright 2010 | Amnesty International USA | 5 Penn Plaza | New
York, NY 10001 | 212.807.8400