Klimaatgekte: Greenpeace wil vertrek IPCC-chef

Dr. Marc-Alexander Fluks fluks at COMBIDOM.COM
Wed Feb 10 11:36:06 CET 2010

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Bron:   Daily Telegraph
Datum:  4 februari 2010
Auteur: Matthew Moore

Greenpeace director tells IPCC boss Rajendra Pachauri to stand down
over glacier claim
Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change, is under increased pressure after the head of Greenpeace
called for him to step down.

Dr Pachauri has refused to apologise for an inaccurate claim published
in an IPCC report that the Himalayan glaciers could melt by 2035.

The error has been seized upon by climate change sceptics as evidence
that the case for man-made global warming is being exaggerated, and
now Dr Pachauri's allies in the environmental movement have spoken out
against his handling of the affair.

John Sauven, director of Greenpeace UK, called on the Indian academic
to be replaced to rebuild the "credibility" of the UN's climate change
body. 'Mistakes will always be made but it's how you handle those
mistakes which affects the credibility of the institution. Pachauri
should have put his hand up and said 'we made a mistake',' he told The
Times. It's in these situations that your character and judgment is
tested. Do you make the right judgment call? He clearly didn't. The
IPCC needs to regain credibility. Is that going to happen with Pachauri
[as chairman]? I don't think so. We need someone held in high regard
who has extremely good judgment and is seen by the global public as
someone on their side. If we get a new person in with an open mind,
prepared to fundamentally review how the IPCC works, we would regain
confidence in the organisation.'

Earlier this week Dr Pachauri said a personal apology on the glacier
mistake would be a "populist" step. The 2035 claim originated in an
article published in New Scientist magazine which even the author has
admitted was based on "speculation" rather than formal research.

--------
(c) 2010 Telegraph Media Group Limited