Obama in, Israel out

Henk Elegeert hmje at HOME.NL
Wed Jan 21 14:35:56 CET 2009

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

2009/1/21 Henk Elegeert <hmje at home.nl>:

Ik eerder:
> Transparantie beloofde hij immers !!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/foreign_policy/

"
Renewing American Diplomacy

    * Renew our Alliances: Obama and Biden will rebuild our alliances
to meet the common challenges of the 21st century. America is
strongest when we act alongside strong partners. Now is the time for a
new era of international cooperation that strengthens old partnerships
and builds new ones to confront the common challenges of the 21st
century -- terrorism and nuclear weapons; climate change and poverty;
genocide and disease.
    * Talk to our Foes and Friends: Obama and Biden will pursue tough,
direct diplomacy without preconditions with all nations, friend and
foe. They will do the careful preparation necessary, but will signal
that America is ready to come to the table and is willing to lead. And
if America is willing to come to the table, the world will be more
willing to rally behind American leadership to deal with challenges
like confronting terrorism and Iran and North Korea's nuclear
programs.
    * Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Obama and Biden will make progress
on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict a key diplomatic priority from day
one. They will make a sustained push -- working with Israelis and
Palestinians -- to achieve the goal of two states, a Jewish state in
Israel and a Palestinian state, living side by side in peace and
security.
    * Expand our Diplomatic Presence: To make diplomacy a priority,
Obama and Biden will stop shuttering consulates and start opening them
in difficult corners of the world -- particularly in Africa. They will
expand our foreign service, and develop our civilian capacity to work
alongside the military.
    * Fight Global Poverty: Obama and Biden will embrace the
Millennium Development Goal of cutting extreme poverty and hunger
around the world in half by 2015, and they will double our foreign
assistance to achieve that goal. This will help the world's weakest
states build healthy and educated communities, reduce poverty, develop
markets, and generate wealth.
    * Seek New Partnerships in Asia: Obama and Biden will forge a more
effective framework in Asia that goes beyond bilateral agreements,
occasional summits, and ad hoc arrangements, such as the six-party
talks on North Korea. They will maintain strong ties with allies like
Japan, South Korea and Australia; work to build an infrastructure with
countries in East Asia that can promote stability and prosperity; and
work to ensure that China plays by international rules.

Israel

    * Ensure a Strong U.S.-Israel Partnership: Barack Obama and Joe
Biden strongly support the U.S.-Israel relationship, and believe that
our first and incontrovertible commitment in the Middle East must be
to the security of Israel, America's strongest ally in the region.
They support this closeness, and have stated that the United States
will never distance itself from Israel.
    * Support Israel's Right to Self Defense: During the July 2006
Lebanon war, Barack Obama stood up strongly for Israel's right to
defend itself from Hezbollah raids and rocket attacks, cosponsoring a
Senate resolution against Iran and Syria's involvement in the war, and
insisting that Israel should not be pressured into a ceasefire that
did not deal with the threat of Hezbollah missiles. He and Joe Biden
believe strongly in Israel's right to protect its citizens.
    * Support Foreign Assistance to Israel: Barack Obama and Joe Biden
have consistently supported foreign assistance to Israel. They defend
and support the annual foreign aid package that involves both military
and economic assistance to Israel and have advocated increased foreign
aid budgets to ensure that these funding priorities are met. They have
called for continuing U.S. cooperation with Israel in the development
of missile defense systems.

Bipartisanship and Openness

    * A Record of Bringing People Together: In the Senate, Obama has
worked with Republicans and Democrats to advance important policy
initiatives on securing weapons of mass destruction and conventional
weapons, increasing funding for nonproliferation, and countering
instability in Congo.
    * Consultative Group: Obama and Biden will convene a bipartisan
Consultative Group of leading members of Congress to foster better
executive-legislative relations and bipartisan unity on foreign
policy. This group will be comprised of the congressional leadership
of both political parties, and the chair and ranking members of the
Armed Services, Foreign Relations, Intelligence, and Appropriations
Committees. This group will meet with the president once a month to
review foreign policy priorities, and will be consulted in advance of
military action.
    * Getting Politics out of Intelligence: Obama will insulate the
Director of National Intelligence from political pressure by giving
the DNI a fixed term, like the Chairman of the Federal Reserve. Obama
and Biden will seek consistency and integrity at the top of our
intelligence community -- not just a political ally.
    * Change the Culture of Secrecy: Obama will institute a National
Declassification Center to make declassification secure but routine,
efficient, and cost-effective.
    * Engaging the American People on Foreign Policy: Obama and Biden
will bring foreign policy decisions directly to the people by
requiring their national security officials to have periodic national
broadband town hall meetings to discuss foreign policy. Obama will
personally deliver Your Weekly Address via webcast.
"

Henk Elegeert