Energie met horten en stoten

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Tue Dec 15 23:53:52 CET 2009

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Risico's onderkennen en inschatten: daar zouden we in Amsterdam alles
over moeten weten. Immers 'we' betalen nu €1,7 miljard meer dan de
beoogde €1,4 miljard voor de N/Z-lijn.

De Zwitsers slepen de directie gelijk voor het gerecht, en een lange
gevangenisstraf behoort tot de mogelijkheden.
En dat voor een schamele €5,5 miljoen!

Het Amerikaanse bedrijf heeft inmiddels (geschrokken van de rechtzaak?)
een soortgelijk project in Californië, zonder verdere kennisgeving aan
de opdrachtgever, verlaten.

Groet / Cees

Switzerland geologist on trial for 'causing quakes'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8414795.stm
The head of a geothermal energy company has gone on trial in Switzerland
accused of damaging property by triggering earthquakes.

Markus Haering's company had been working with the authorities in Basel
to try to convert the heat in deep-seated rocks into electricity.

But the project was suspended in 2006 when drilling triggered the
quakes.

They caused no injuries but led to $9m (£5.54m) of damage. Mr Haering
denies deliberately damaging property.

The project was shut down permanently last week after a government study
found that similar quakes caused by the project would lead to millions
of dollars worth of damage each year.

Major fault line

Appearing in court in Basel on Tuesday, Mr Haering rejected allegations
that he deliberately damaged properties and claimed local people were
aware of the risks.

He said those involved had "very little knowledge of seismicity" before
drilling began in the Petit-Huningue area of the city.

But the project leaders had an emergency plan and "every minute, we knew
what was going on and were able to act instantly".

One of the earthquakes generated had a 3.4 magnitude.

The Swiss government report concluded that if the project had been
allowed to continue there was a 15% chance of it triggering a quake
powerful enough to cause damage of up to $500m.

However it was unlikely to activate the major fault line that runs
beneath Basel, which led to a huge quake that devastated the city in
1356.

Mr Haering faces up to five years jail if the judge finds he
intentionally damaged property. A verdict is expected next week.