Kids today, all they want to do is sail around the world -- alone

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Tue Aug 25 15:59:57 CEST 2009

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/08/mike-perham-closing-in-on-becoming-youngest-to-sail-around-the-world-alone.html

Kids today, all they want to do is sail around the world -- alone
August 21, 2009 |  2:39 pm

Michael2

Zac Sunderland, 17, is the youngest person to have sailed around the world
alone, and the first person to have accomplished that feat before turning
18. Zac finished his 13-month odyssey in mid-July and has since become a
minor celebrity.

In about a week, the personable Thousand Oaks adventurer will hold only
the latter distinction, however, because England's Mike Perham, who is a
few months younger than his Yankee rival, is closing in on his
globe-girdling end point at Gunwharf Quays. Mike's scheduled arrival date
is Aug. 29.

"I've been on the phone a lot more in the last few days, doing quite a few
interviews and live radio link-ups, which has been good fun as always,"
the Britisher said on his blog. "Earlier I was on the phone to one of my
best mates and it was really great to have a good catch up and talk about
loads of different stuff. It's a little weird to think I'm only eight days
away now when I've been away for so long and haven't seen my friends for
ages. I'm dead excited to catch up with them though. I’ve lots of stories
to tell!"

How long Mike will hold the distinction as the youngest to
solo-circumnavigate the planet in a sailboat, however, remains to be seen.

Michael1

Australia's Jessica Watson, 16, is planning a September departure for a
nonstop journey aboard a 34-foot yacht that she hopes to complete within
eight months. Abby Sunderland, who will turn 16 in October, is hoping for
a November departure for a nonstop trip aboard a 40-foot yacht. She plans
to complete her trip in about six months.

If both girls are successful within their time frames, Abby would become
the youngest.

However, Dutch sailor Laura Dekker reportedly is still planning to depart
Sept. 1 on what she hopes will be a more leisurely two-year adventure, but
she's running into opposition from civil authorities, who refuse to give
her permission to skip school.

That's understandable because Dekker, who says she's going anyway and has
the support of her parents, is only 13!