Gezondheidszorg Canada vs USA

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at XS4ALL.NL
Wed Apr 15 22:27:13 CEST 2009

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

http://business.theatlantic.com/2009/04/those_lucky_canadians.php

Apr 15 2009, 9:52 am by Megan McArdle
Those Lucky Canadians
Commenter Tom West writes:

    Boy, the more I read, the guiltier I feel about living in Canada. We
sort of have the ideal position

    We're large enough that most of us don't see the direct comparison
with the American system, (which is nice, but three times the price).
America operates as our second tier which is close enough that the
rich aren't upset about going there for expensive health-care, but far
enough away that the even the moderately well-to-do don't look at it
as a serious alternative.

    We're insulated enough so that when the doctor's say "there's nothing
we can do", you can believe it without feeling guilty about not
destroying your family's finances to pay for some sliver of hope. We
benefit from the American innovations when they're finally brought
down to a cost that our bureaucrats consider acceptable. The doctors
don't have to cater to ridiculous demands for unnecessary tests, and
have no incentive to give them.

    We have a Corolla health-care system as opposed to the American Lexus,
but it does a decent job for most of us, and ends up being an element
of society that binds most Canadians together rather than becomes a
source of resentment and distrust. (Tommy Douglas who introduced our
health-care system was recently selected as Greatest Canadian ever by
viewing audiences.)

    That said, sadly for those few Americans that look at our health-care
system as a model, I'm afraid it wouldn't work for you. You'd be
missing the one ingredient that helps it work as well as it does...
You.