Luister Kleine Man!

Hein van Meeteren heinwvm at CHELLO.NL
Fri Aug 15 15:45:14 CEST 2008

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Wilhelm Reich:

"What right do you have to tell me things?" I can see this question in
your apprehensive look. I hear this question from your impertinent
mouth, Little Man. You are afraid to look at yourself, you are afraid of
criticism, Little Man, just as you are afraid of the power they promise
you. You would not know how to use this power. You dare not think that
you ever might experience your self differently: free instead of cowed;
open instead of tactical; loving openly instead of like a thief in the
night. You despise yourself Little Man. You say: "Who am I to have an
opinion of my own, to determine my own life and to declare the world to
be mine?" You are right: Who are you to make a claim to your life?
You are different from the really great man in only one thing: The great
man, at one time, also was a very little man, but he developed one
important ability: he learned to see where he was small in his thinking,
and actions. Under the pressure of some task which was dear to him he
learned better and better to sense the threat that comes from his
smallness and pettiness. The great man, then, knows when and in what he
is a little man.

 The Little Man does not know that he is little, and he is afraid of
knowing it. He covers up his smallness and narrowness with illusions of
strength and greatness, of others' strength and greatness. He is proud
of his great generals but not proud of himself. He admires thought which
he did not have and not the thought he did have. He believes in things
all the more thoroughly the less he comprehends them, and does not
believe in the correctness of those ideas which he comprehends most
easily....