Episode 1: It's All About Carbon

Henk op xp HmjE at HOME.NL
Mon Aug 27 19:59:10 CEST 2007

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9943298>

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9943298

Causes of Climate Change
<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12385112>

  *Episode 1: It's All About Carbon*

Listen to this story...
http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/dmg_em.php?id=9943830&type=1&date=01-May-2007&au=1&pid=60366662&random=7716610227&guid=0000B75FC31806D21722FDA661626364&upf=Win32&splayer=sp&mtype=WM&ssid=9657621&topicName=Health___Science&subtopicName=Health___Science&prgCode=ATC&hubId=12385112&thingId=9943298&tableModifier=&mswmext=.asx

[Correction: The on-air version of this story stated that energy is
released when carbon-atom bonds are broken. To be more precise, energy
is released after the bond is broken and carbon atoms grab on to other
atoms.]

A Carbon Atom    <http://www.npr.org/news/specials/climate/video/>
Click Here to Watch Episodes of 'Global Warming: It's All About Carbon'
<http://www.npr.org/news/specials/climate/video/>
Odd Todd

[  Climate Change Questions
If you have questions about climate change, please e-mail
<http://www.npr.org/contact/climate.html> them to /All Things
Considered/ or call the show at 202-898-2395.  ]

/All Things Considered
<http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=2>, /May 1,
2007 · When the subject is global warming, our mood is usually "uh-oh."

Which makes sense, because a warmer Earth will lead to all kinds of
disruptions and expensive adjustments that we could do without.
But there is another way to think about all of this.
What we have done here is a chemistry lesson, one that begins with the
elemental cause of global warming: the behavior of the carbon atom.

First of all, carbon is everywhere.
Yes, most of you is water.
http://media.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2007/may/carbon/man400.jpg
Man at Bus Stop

But a surprising part of the rest of you is carbon! This is you, without
water:
http://media.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2007/may/carbon/carbonpile400.jpg
Carbon pile at bus stop.

And this is the carbon atom:
http://media.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2007/may/carbon/carbon400.jpg
A Carbon Atom

Since carbon atoms are rather small and since we're offering this lesson
not on the radio, but right here, on this page, (it's right up there, on
the left), we have turned our atom into a cartoon. Just so you can see
it better.

This is the introductory segment of a five-part series that explains how
carbon atoms form bonds, break apart and create the conditions that can
lead to global warming. Since most of us are beginners when it comes to
elemental chemistry, this is a lesson in five, easy-to-grasp steps. And
grasping, by the way, is a big part of our story.

I know a lot of chemistry teachers may happen by, so let me say, right
from the start that this is not even remotely hard science; this is a
whet-your-appetite exercise that we hope will get lots and lots of
people, especially people who don't rush to chemistry class, familiar
with the root causes of our warming problem.

In this, the first lesson, we introduce our atom.  You may be surprised
to know that you, the person reading this, are to a significant degree a
carbon-based organism. So are your friends, your pets, your plants, and
every living thing on Earth.
And there's a reason for that, which we get to in the next episode:
/It's About Bonds./

So take a look. <http://www.npr.org/news/specials/climate/video/>

(Play videos from Robert Krulwich's five-part cartoon series, /Global
Warming: It's All About Carbon./

    * More Climate Connections Videos, from Public Television's /Wild
Chronicles/*)
<http://www.npr.org/news/specials/climate/video/wildchronicles.html>
"