Bush geeft het eindelijk toe

Henk Elegeert HmjE at HOME.NL
Fri Sep 8 00:42:39 CEST 2006

REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl

Henk Elegeert wrote:

> REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl
>
> Henk Elegeert wrote:
>
>> REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl
>>
>> Kaj wrote:
>>
>>> REPLY TO: D66 at nic.surfnet.nl
>>>
>>> Rice heeft nooit gezegd dat die gevangenissen niet bestaan, maar heeft
>>> altijd gezegd dat 'ze bij *mijn* weten niet bestaan' of ze heeft er
>>> simpelweg nooit wat over gezegd.
>

> Nog even gekeken:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,12780,1659149,00.html
>
> "
> Detainee flights have saved European lives, says Rice
>
> Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington and Luke Harding in Berlin
>
> Tuesday December 6, 2005
> The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1658214,00.html
Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | Rice defends

US treatment of terror suspects

Maar ook de dag daarvoor"

"
Rice defends US treatment of terror suspects

Staff and agencies
Monday December 5, 2005
Guardian Unlimited

Condoleezza Rice
Condoleezza Rice. Photograph: J Scott Applewhite/AP

The US secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, has
defended US treatment of terror suspects and refused
to either confirm or deny the existence of CIA-run
secret prisons in eastern Europe.

Ms Rice said European countries should trust the US
because information gathered by the CIA had
"prevented terrorist attacks in Europe ... and other
countries".

She added that the US would use "every lawful weapon
to defeat these terrorists".

Reading out a statement at Andrews air force base in
Maryland before leaving on a trip to Europe, Ms Rice
said: "We cannot discuss information that would
compromise the success of intelligence, law
enforcement, and military operations. We expect
other nations share this view."

Article continues
Reports of the existence of the secret prisons have
caused an international outcry. Several European
governments, as well as the EU, have asked the US to
confirm the existence of the prisons and to say
whether or not hundreds of CIA flights have shuttled
over the continent.transporting prisoners.

Ms Rice neither confirmed nor denied the existence
of secret prisons, but she did defend the CIA's use
of "rendition": transporting suspects to countries
where they can be questioned outside the protection
of US law.

She said rendition had been practised for decades
and was "not unique to United States or to the
current administration".

She also said other nations' intelligence agencies
had been working with the US to extract information
from detainees.

But she added that the US did not permit or tolerate
torture under any circumstances.

"The US does not use the air space or airport of any
country for the purpose of transporting a detainee
when we believe he or she will be tortured," she said.

"The United States does not transport, and has not
transported, detainees from one country to another
for the purpose of interrogation using torture."

It emerged in Germany at the weekend that CIA
aircraft had landed in the country on 437 occasions.

The Washington Post also reported that dozens of
prisoners had been wrongly rendered, with some being
kidnapped in their home countries and held
incommunicado for weeks.

Human rights groups say holding detainees
incommunicado is illegal and often leads to torture.
"